It is not surprising that most institutes, schools, and universities are shifting from traditional learning to online learning due to the coronavirus, which is an international concern that has changed the educational system all over the world. This study aims to investigate the perception of EFL students at Hebron University about online assessment benefits and challenges during COVID-19. The participants of this study were 64 English major students from Hebron University. An online questionnaire consisting of 40 questions was used to collect the data. The researchers followed the quantitative approach. According to the findings of this study, Students' overall view of e-assessment was moderate. The researcher included in the questionnaire eight domains. They got varying degrees. Compatibility domain (M=3.74), awareness domain (M=3.71), self-efficacy domain (M=3.57), perceived usefulness domain (M=3.53), IT support domain (M=3.48), perceived ease of use domain (M=3.48), peer influence and superior influence domain (M= 3.41), resource facilitation domain (M=3.20).
KeywordsE-assessment Hebron University COVID-19
- Abduh, M. (2021). Full-time Online Assessment during COVID -19 Lockdown: EFL Teachers' Perceptions. Asian EFL Journal Research Articles, 28(1).
- Alruwais N., Wills G., Wald M., (2018). Advantages and Challenges of Using e-Assessment. International Journal of Information and Education Technology, 8(1), 34-37.
- Arif, Z. (2020). Online Assessment Implemented by English Teachers at Sma Al-Islam 1 Surakarta During Pandemic Covid-19. English Language Education Culture and Language Faculty the State Islamic Institute of Surakarta. http://eprints.iain-surakarta.ac.id/138/1/FINAL%20Thesis%20of%20Zulvan%20Arif%20153221230.pdf
- Astiandani, F., Anam, S. (2021). EFL Teachers' Perceptions Towards the Implementation of Online Formative Assessment Amidst the Covid-19 Pandemic. ELT Worldwide, 8(2), 269-277.
- Buchanan, T., (2002). Online assessment: Desirable or dangerous?, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 33(2), 148–154. https://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/0735-7028.33.2.148
- Cook, J., & Jenkins, V. (2010). Getting Started with e-Assessment. University of Bath.
- Farrah, M. & Al-Bakry, G.H. (2020). Online learning for EFL students in Palestinian universities during corona pandemic: Advantages, challenges and solutions. Indonesian Journal of Learning and Instruction, 3(2), 65-78.
- Farrah, M. & Jabari, Sh. (2020). Interaction in Online Learning Environment during Covid -19: Factors behind Lack of Interaction and Ideas for promoting it. Bulletin of Advanced English Studies (BAES), 5(2), 47-56. https://doi.org/10.31559/BAES2020.5.2.3
- Forsyth, R. Aleksieva, L., (2021). The effect of the teachers' experience in online education during the pandemic on their views of strengths and weaknesses of e-learning (SU case). International Conference on Computer Systems and Technologies.1-11. https://doi.org/10.1145/3472410.3472450
- Forsyth, R. & Aleksieva, L. (2021). Forced introduction of e-assessment during COVID-19 pandemic: How did the students feel about that? (Sofia University case). AIP Conference Proceedings 2333, 050013 (2021); https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0041862
- Ghanbari, N. Nowroozi, S. (2021). The practice of online assessment in an EFL context amidst COVID-19 pandemic: views from teachers. Language Testing in Asia, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40468-021-00143-4
- Gilbert L., Whitelock D., Gale V. (2011). Synthesis Report on Assessment and Feedback with Technology Enhancement. University of Southampton School of Electronics and Computer Science. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/1512614.pdf
- Hidalgo-Camacho, C., Escudero, G. I., Villacís, W., & Varela, K. (2021). The effects of online learning on EFL students’ academic achievement during coronavirus disease pandemic. European Journal of Educational Research, 10(4), 1867-1879. https://doi.org/10.12973/eu-jer.10.4.1867
- Hyland, D., O’shea, A. (2021). The student perspective on teaching and assessment during initial COVID-19 related closures at Irish universities: implications for the future, An International Journal of the IMA, 40(4), 455–477. https://doi.org/10.1093/teamat/hrab017
- Knowly, (2020a) Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Assessments, Easy LMS B.V., Accessed on https://www.onlineassessmenttool.com/knowledge-center/online-assessment-center/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-online-assessments/item12518
- Knowly, (2020b) What is an online assessment?, Easy LMS B.V., Accessed on: https://www.onlineassessmenttool.com/knowledge-center/online-assessment-center/what-is-an-online-assessment-definition-meaning/item10639
- Kundu, A., Bej, T. (2021). Experiencing e-assessment during COVID-19: an analysis of Indian students’ perception. Emerald Publishing Limited, 15 (2), 114-134. https://doi.org/10.1108/HEED-03-2021-0032
- Malguri, A., (2019) What is an Online Assessment? Here’s Everything You Need to Know, Mercer LLC, Accessed on https://blog.mettl.com/guide/online-assessment/#:~:text=Online%20assessment%20is%20the%20process,%2C%20knowledge%2C%20or%20learning%20abilities.
- Ridgway, J., McCusker, S., Pead, D. (2004). Literature review of e-assessment, Futurelab.
- Singh, J. H. (2018). Front-end Evaluation Planning for e-Learning: A Practical Approach. https://assessmentinstitute.iupui.edu/overview/institute-files/2020-institute/tuesday-2020/singh.pdf
- TEAME, Benefits of E-Assessment, TEAME http://www.teame.ie/benefits-of-e-assessment/
- Walet, N. R., & Birch, M. (2012). Using online assessment to provide instant feedback. In Aiming for excellence in STEM learning and teaching Higher Education Academy. http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/assets/documents/stemconference/STEMLearningandTeachingIssues1/Neils_Walet.pdf
- Xu, H. and Mahenthiran, S. (2016). Factors that influence online learning assessment and satisfaction: using moodle as a learning management system. International Business Research, 9(2), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v9n2p1
- Yilmaz, R. (2017). Problems experienced in evaluating success and performance in distance education: A case study. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education-TOJDE, 18(1), 39-51. https://doi.org/10.17718/tojde.285713
- Yulianto, D., & Mujtahin, N.M. (2021). Online Assessment during Covid-19 Pandemic: EFL Teachers’ Perspectives and Their Practices. Journal of English Teaching, 7(2), 229-242.
- Zboun, J.S. & Farrah, M. (2021). Students’ perspectives of online language learning during corona pandemic: Benefits and challenges. Indonesian EFL Journal, 7(1), 13-20.
- Zlatović, M. Balaban, I., Kermek, D. (2015). Using online assessments to stimulate learning strategies and achievement of learning goals, Computers & Education, 91, 32-45, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2015.09.012.
- Zou, B., Huang, L., Ma, W. & Qiu, Y. (2021). Evaluation of the effectiveness of EFL online teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic. SAGE Open. https://doi.org/10.1177/21582440211054491