Modeling and Optimization of Gas-Solid Fluidization of Binary Mixtures using Box-Behnken Experimental Design
The influence of different factors on the fluidization of a binary mixture of red mud and aluminum was investigated. A new model was developed for predicting pressure drop through the solid bed using experimental data of other work. Statistical analysis based on response surface methodology has been used to develop correlations for bed pressure drop with three independent factors, minimum fluidization velocity (Umf), red mud to aluminum ratio (R/A), and static head (Hs). The design of experiments offers a best alternative to study the effect of factors and their response with the minimum number of experiments. The hydrodynamic characteristics of fluidization, bed pressure drop, superficial gas velocity (Umf), red mud to aluminum ratio (R/A), and initial static bed height (Hs) were modeled and optimized. ANOVA has been used to analyze the system parameters on bed pressure drop. A model of bed pressure drop was found to have a correlation coefficient of 0.98. The measured values of bed pressure drop from RSM were found to match the experimental values very well.
- J.F. Richardson, W.N. Zaki, Sedimentation and fluidisation: Part I, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 75(1997) S82–S100.
- M. Asif, A.A. Ibrahim, Minimum fluidization velocity and defluidization behavior of binary-solid liquid-fluidized beds, Powder Technology 12 (2002) 241-254.
- P.D.S. de Vasconcelos, A.L.A. Mesquita, Minimum and full fluidization velocity for alumina used in the aluminum smelter, International Journal of Engineering Business Management 3(2011) 23-13.
- K.C. Biswal, B.B. Samal, G.K. Roy, Dynamics of gas–solid fluidization of regular particles in conical vessels, Journal of the Institution of Engineers, 65(1984) 15-17.
- D.C. Sau, K.C. Biswal, Computational fluid dynamics and experimental study of the hydrodynamics of a gas-solid tapered fluidized bed, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 35 (2011) 2265-2278.
- Gupta, S.K., Agarwal, V.K., Singh, S.N., V. Seshadri, D. Mills, J. Singh, C. Prakash, Prediction of minimum fluidization velocity for fine tailing material, Powder Technology, 196 (2009), 263-271.
- S. Bhoi, Experimental and CFD Simulation Study of Binary Solid-Liquid Fluidized Bed, MTech thesis, (2009) National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.
- J.M. Valverde, A. Castellanos, Types of gas fluidization of cohesive granular materials, Physical Review E, 75(2007) 031306.
- S. Sahoo, Fluidized bed reactor: design and application for abatement of fluoride, Rourkelta, BTech thesis, (2012) National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.
- D.C. Montgomery, Design and Analysis of Experiments, 6th Ed, (2005) John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Khuri, S. Mukhopadhyay, Response Surface Methodology, WIREs Computational Statistics, 2 (2010) 128-149.
- D.T.K. Dora, Y.K. Mohanty, G.K. Roy, Hydrodynamics of three-phase fluidization of a homogeneous ternary mixture of irregular particles, Chemical Engineering Science, 79(2012) 210–218.
- D.T.K. Dora, Y.K. Mohanty, G.K. Roy, Hydrodynamics of three-phase fluidization of a homogeneous ternary mixture of regular particles-Experimental and statistical analysis, Powder Technology, 237(2013) 594-601.
- A-T. Mohammad, A.S. Abdulhameed, A.H. Jawad, Box-Behnken design to optimize the synthesis of new crosslinked chitosan glycoxal/TiO2 nanocomposite: methyl orange absorption and mechanism studies, International journal of biological macromolecules, 129(2019) 98-109.
- E. Zhou, Y. Zhang, Y. Zhao, Z. Luo, J. He, C.G. Duan, Characteristic gas velocity and fluidization quality evaluation of vibrated dense medium fluidized bed for fine coal separation, Advanced Powder Technology, 29(2018) 985-995.