A Study on the Pollution Status of Akata Lake Sediments, Katsina-Ala Benue State, Nigeria
Heavy metals accumulation in biological system are by inhalation of contaminated air, intake of contaminated food or drinking water has been considered to be an ecological menace to man and other organisms. This study was carried out to ascertain the pollution status of Cr, Pb, Zn, Cu and Cd in sediment of Akata Lake, Katsina- Ala Benue State, Nigeria. Sediment samples were collected, digested using 30% H2O2 followed by 0.5M HCl and the metal concentrations were determined with Varian AA240 Atomic absorption spectrophotometer equipped with Zeeman’s background correction (Varian, New Jersey, USA). The mean level of the heavy metals, Pb, Zn, Cu, Cd and Cr are 31.05, 2.72, 19.22 and 0.88 mg/kg while the concentration of Cr was below the detection limit of the instrument. The values obtained were compared with the established soil and sediment standard by World Health Organization (WHO). The contamination factors value for Zn, Cu and Cd are <1 while that of Pb is >1, hence it shows that the sediment is polluted by lead. The pollution load index (PLI) and Geo-accumulation index (Igeo) levels for Cr, Zn, Cu, Cd heavy metals in sample A - E were less than 1 except for Pb which is >1, this show that, the sediment were polluted with Pb.
- Heavy Metals,
- S.T. Ubwa, J. Abah, C. Ada, E. Alechenu, Levels of Some Heavy Metals Contamination of Street Dust in the Industrial and High Traffic Density Areas of Jos Metropolis, Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences, 3 (2013) 13-21.
- Y. Li, Y. Hong, D. Wang, Y. Zhu, Determination of Free Heavy Metal Ion Concentrations in Soils around a Cadmium Rich Zinc Deposit, Geochemical Journal, 41 (2007) 235-240.
- S. Shanbehzadeh, V. D Marzieh, H. Akbar, K. Toba, Heavy Metals in Water and Sediment. A Case Study of Tembi River, Journal of Environmental and Public Health, 2014 (2014) 858720.
- P.I Omwene, M.S Öncel, M. Çelen, M. Kobya, Heavy metal pollution and spatial distribution in surface sediments of Mustafakemalpasa stream located in the world’s largest borate basin (Turkey), Chemosphere, 208 (2018) 782–792.
- H. Ali, E. Khan, I. Ilahi. Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology of Hazardous Heavy Metals: Environmental Persistence, Toxicity, and Bioaccumulation, Journal of Chemistry, 2019 (2019).
- M. Barbieri, The importance of enrichment factor (EF) and geoaccumulation index (Igeo) to evaluate the soil contamination, Journal of Geology & Geophysics, 5 (2016) 1000237.
- D.S Malik, P. K. Maurya, Heavy metal concentration in water, sediment, and tissues of species (Heteropneustis fossilis and Puntius ticto) from Kali River, India, Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, 96 (2014) 1195–1206.
- S. Islam, K. Ahmed, M. Habibullah-Al-Mamun, S. Masunaga, Potential ecological risk of hazardous elements in different land-use urban soils of Bangladesh, Science of The Total Environment, 512–513 (2015) 94–102.
- N. Anbuselvan, S.D. Nathan, M. Sridharan, Heavy metal assessment in surface sediments off Coromandel Coast of India: Implication on marine pollution, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 131 (2015) 712–726.
- Y.N Vodyanitskii, Standards for the contents of heavy metals in soils of some states, Annals of Agrarian Science, 14 (2016) 257–263.
- L. Hakanson, An ecological risk index for aquatic pollution control. a sedimentological approach, Water Research, 14 (1980) 975–1001.
- D.L Tomlinson, J.G Wilson, C.R Harris, D.W Jeffrey, Problems in the assessment of heavy-metal levels in estuaries and the formation of a pollution index, Helgoländer Meeresuntersuchungen, 33 (1980) 566–575.
- X. Zheng, W. Zhao, X. Yan, T. Shu, Q. Xiong, F. Chen, Pollution characteristics and health risk assessment of airborne heavy metals collected from Beijing bus stations, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12 (2015) 9658–9671.
- G. Wang, H.Q Liu, Y. Gong, Y. Wei, A.J Miao, L.Y Yang, H. Zhong, Risk assessment of metals in urban soils from a typical Industrial city, Suzhou, Eastern China, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14 (9) (2017) 1025.
- R.O Awofolu, A survey of trace metals in vegetation soil and lower animals along some selected major roads in metropolitan city of Lagos, Environmental monitoring and assessment 105 (2005) 431- 447.
- G.G Yebpella, A. M. Magomya, R. Odoh, B. N. Hikon and J. Yakubu, Impact of Pb-Zn Mining on Heavy Metal Levels in Soil from Arufu Mine Field, Wukari, Nigeria, International Research Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry, 21 (2020) 62-70.
- C. Gleyzes, S. Tellier, M. Astruc, Fractionation studies of trace elements in contaminated soils and sediments: A review of sequential extraction procedures, TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 21 (2002) 451-467.
- K.H Wedepohl, The composition of the continental crust, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 59 (1995)1217-1232.
- EU. Commission regulation (EC) No. 1881/2006 of 19 December 2006 setting maximum levels for certain contaminants in foodstuffs, Official Journal of European Union L364/5; 2006, Available: http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg/2006 /1881/oj.
- S. Lewis, M.E Donkin, M.H Depledge, Hsp 70 expression in Enteromorpha intestinalism (Chlorophyta) exposed to environmental stressors, Aquatic Toxicology, 51 (2001) 277-291.
- C. Ling, Y. Ching-ying, L. Hung-Chang, C. Hsing-Jasine, J. Ming and H. Bor- Cheng, Effect of mother’s consumption of traditional Chinese herbs on estimated infant daily intake of lead from breast milk, Science of The Total Environment, 354 (2006)120-126.
- World Health Organization, Standard maxima for metals in Agricultural soils. (1993)
- World Health Organization (WHO), World Health Organization guidelines for drinking water quality. 2nd edition, Vol. 2, Health Criteria and Supporting Information, WHO Geneva, 2011.
- R.B Foley. Urban Geochemical Hazard Mapping of St. John’s New Found Land, Canada, Atlantic Geology, 47 (2011) 138-157.
- O.A Omotoso, O.J Ojo, Assessment of Some Heavy Metals Contamination in the Soil of River Niger Flood Plain at Jebba, Central Nigeria, Water Utility Journal, 9 (2015) 71-80.
- G. Muller, Index of Geoaccumulation in Sediments of the Rhine River, Geo Journal, 2 (1969) 108-118.
- S.A Onjefu, N.A Kgabi, S.H Taole, Heavy Metal Seasonal Distribution in Shore Sediment Samples along the Coastline of Erongo Region, Western Namibia, European Journal of Scientific Research, 139 (2016) 49-63.