Effect of Hot Rolling on the Intrinsic Properties of Aluminium-Titanium Bonded by PTFE/ C -Cyanoacrylate
The concern of this study shows the effect of hot rolling on the properties of a composite sheet prepared from aluminium bonded to titanium metals sandwiching PTFE (Du Pont)/graphite emulsion in perfluoro kerosene. The metals were soaked in hot oxygenated water and dried at 80 °C for 5 - 10 minutes to create a thin film of oxide. The metals were bonded with cyanoacrylate blended to the polymer emulsion that applied to the oxidized surface of the clean metals. Two coated surfaces sandwich the polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)/graphite emulsion followed by hot-rolling. The rolling process was matched at 500- 560 °C (≈ 150 °C, over the melting point of the PTFE) under a pressure of 150-200 KPa. The obtained composite sheet was annealed at 550 °C to remove any residual stresses. Results revealed that upon cooling, the mix microphase would separate with the OH radicals on the metal surface and the CF displaced away. The temperature and time of cyanoacrylate application enhanced the extent of adhesion to create a homogeneous composite metal sheet. The effect of the hot rolling conditions was ascribed to the PTFE underactivity and incompatibility. Rolling imparts squeezing of the metals and changes the intrinsic properties. Linear thermal expansion coefficient of the composite sheet confirms partial diffusion of the soft metal in the harder one across the adhesive. The applied technique deforms the PTFE particles without inhibiting the adhesion strength of the cyanoacrylate. The prepared sheet has physical properties that would be suitable for bailiwick and structural application.
- Al-Ti PTFE bonded laminar sheet,
- aeronautic sheet,
- PTFE as adhesive material
- S. Ajaya Kumar, A. Prabhu Kumar, B. Balu Naik, B. Ravi, A Review on the Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Based Metal Matrix Composites (MMCs), International Journal of Engineering Science Invention, 6 (2017) 12-15.
- L.E.G. Cambronero, E. Sánchez. J.M. Ruiz-Roman, and J.M. Ruiz-Prieto, Mechanical characterization of AA7015 aluminium alloy reinforced with ceramics, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 143-144 (2003) 378–383. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(03)00424-2
- Sano, T., Srivatsan, T.S. (Eds.), Advanced Composites for Aerospace, Marine, and Land Applications II, Verlag: Springer International Publishing, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-48141-8
- M.F. Ibrahim, H.R. Ammar, M. Samuel M.S.A. Soliman and F.H. Samuel, Mechanical properties and fracture of Al Aluminum 6092/B4C (boron carbide), Metals and Materials International, (23) (2017) 813–822.
- M.F. Ibrahim et al., Mechanical properties and fracture of Al–15 vol.-%B4C based metal matrix composites, International Journal of Cast Metal Research, 1 (2013) 7-14.
- B.S. Murty and S. Ranganathan, Chapter-1, A Brief History of Alloys and the Birth of High-Entropy Alloys, High Entropy Alloys 2014, Pages 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-800251-3.00001-8
- Rana, Rajesh Purohit, and S. Das, Reviews on the alloying elements on the microstructure and mechanical properties of aluminium alloys and aluminium composites, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2 (2012) 1-7.
- E. Magnello, A Century of Measurement: History of the National Physical Laboratory” HMSO 2000, p. 16. ISBN 0-9537868-1-1.
- R.A. Higgins, Part I: Applied Physical Metallurgy, Engineering Metallurgy (5th ed.). Hodder & Stoughton. 2017, pp. 435–438.ISBN 0-340-28524-9.
- C. A. F Clinton and R.A.S. Arnold, Machining Operations on the 'Bristol Mercury: Engine, Aero Engineering. Volume II, part 1. George Newnes. 1938, pp. 378–383.
- Permabond Engineering adhesives, Internet, 2020, PTFE adhesive - Industrial adhesives for bonding PTFE.
- V. Amigó. F. Romero, C.E. Da Costa and M.D. Salvador, Titanium and aluminium composites materials reinforced by Ti-Al compounds, https://www.ipen.br/biblioteca/cd/ptech/2005/PDF/07_07.PDF .
- S. Rajakumar, and V. Balasubramanian, Diffusion bonding of titanium and AA 7075 aluminum alloy dissimilar joints—process modeling and optimization using desirability approach, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 86, (2016) 1095–1112. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-015-8223-7
- Miao Cao, Cui-ju Wanga un-kun Deng Kai-bo Ni Wei Liang and Yu-cheng Wu, Effect of Interface on Mechanical Properties of Ti/Al/Mg/Al/Ti Laminated Composites, Materials Research, 23 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1590/1980-5373-mr-2019-0648
- Cheng Zhang, Shouxin Wang, Hanxue Qiao, Zejun Chen, Taiqian Mo, and Qing Liu Enhancing the Mechanical Properties of Hot Roll Bonded Al/Ti Laminated Metal Composites (LMCs) by Pre-Bonding Diffusion Process, Metals 9 (2019) 795.https://doi.org/10.3390/met9070795
- R. Collins, Out of the lab and into a plane: The emerging materials making aircraft lighter, Aircraft Interiors, 2018, online Jul 24 – IDTechEx