Smart materials and Green Synthesis: The perfect match for the future
Materials science seeks the development of new materials with optimized characteristics. The union of various areas as chemistry, physics, nanotechnology, biology, and medicine catalyzes news materials. Smart materials react to external stimuli by modifying their chemical, mechanical, magnetic, optical, electrical, thermal properties. They have superior efficiency to the materials currently available and promise many advantages to their consumers. However, smart materials must be associated with sustainable technological progress. As a result of highly evolved technologies and intense laboratory research, their final characteristics must be connected with sustainable protocols. In addition to a significant difference associated with a wide application in various areas as textile industry, construction, medicine, drugs delivery, microorganisms’ detection, smart materials must not pollute from production to disposal, and more than that, they must seek compensation for the harmful effects of this evolution on nature. In this way, smart materials will be an excellent advantage for the future and the environment.
- Smart Materials,
- Material Science,
- Green Synthesis,
- Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach. USA: John Wiley & Sons; 2020.
- Schneegass S, Amft O. Introduction to Smart Textiles, Smart Textiles: Fundamentals, Design, and Interaction, Human–Computer Interaction Series. Springer International Publishing: Cham; 2017.
- Mohamed A. Smart Materials Innovative Technologies in architecture; Towards Innovative design paradigm. Energy Procedia. 2017;115.
- Sponchioni M, Capasso Palmiero U, Moscatelli D. Thermo-responsive polymers: Applications of smart materials in drug delivery and tissue engineering. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2019;102.
- Huang W, Ding Z, Wang C, Wei J, Zhao Y, Purnawali H. Shape memory materials. Materials Today. 2010;13.
- Ismail M, Khan M, Akhtar K, Khan M, Asiri AM, Khan S. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles: A colorimetric optical sensor for detection of hexavalent chromium and ammonia in aqueous solution. Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures. 2018;103.
- Lay-Ekuakille A, Massaro A, Singh S, Jabłoński I, Rahman M, Spano F. Optoelectronic and Nanosensors Detection Systems: A Review. IEEE Sensors Journal. 2021;.
- Qian W, Yang W, Zhang Y, Bowen CR, Yang Y. Piezoelectric Materials for Controlling Electro-Chemical Processes. Nano-Micro Letters. 2020;12(1).
- Jerzy S. Application of Smart Materials in Civil Engineering and Architecture. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2020;958.
- Bowen CH, Dai B, Sargent CJ, Bai W, Ladiwala P, Feng H, Huang W, Kaplan DL, Galazka JM, Zhang F. Recombinant Spidroins Fully Replicate Primary Mechanical Properties of Natural Spider Silk. Biomacromolecules. 2018;19.
- Murata H, Nakajima Y, Kado Y, Saitoh N, Yoshizawa N, Suemasu T, Toko K. Multilayer Graphene Battery Anodes on Plastic Sheets for Flexible Electronics. ACS Applied Energy Materials. 2020;3.
- Basu K, Selopal GS, Mohammadnezad M, Akilimali R, Wang ZM, Zhao H, Vetrone F, Rosei F. Hybrid graphene/metal oxide anodes for efficient and stable dye sensitized solar cell. Electrochimica Acta. 2020;349.
- You R, Liu Y-Q, Hao Y-L, Han D-D, Zhang Y-L, You Z. Laser Fabrication of Graphene-Based Flexible Electronics. Advanced Materials. 2020;32.
- Dalal SP, Dalal P. Experimental Investigation on Strength and Durability of Graphene Nanoengineered Concrete. Construction and Building Materials. 2021;276.
- Zhang H, Zheng S, Chen C, Zhang D. A graphene hybrid supramolecular hydrogel with high stretchability, self-healable and photothermally responsive properties for wound healing. RSC Advances. 2021;11(11).
- Erdem Özgecan, Derin E, Sagdic K, Yilmaz EG, Inci F. Smart materials-integrated sensor technologies for COVID-19 diagnosis. Emergent Materials. 2021;.
- Backx BP. Green nanotechnology: only the final product that matters?. Natural Product Research. 2020;.
- Nnadozie EC, Ajibade PA. Green synthesis and characterization of magnetite (Fe3O4) nanoparticles using Chromolaena odorata root extract for smart nanocomposite. Materials Letters. 2020;263.
- Jahangirian H, Rafiee-Moghaddam R, Jahangirian N, Nikpey B, Jahangirian S, Bassous N, Saleh B, Kalantari K, Webster TJ.
Green Synthesis of Zeolite/Fe2O3 Nanocomposites: Toxicity & Cell Proliferation Assays and Application as a Smart Iron Nanofertilizer. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2020;Volume 15.
- Obeizi Z, Benbouzid H, Ouchenane S, Yılmaz D, Culha M, Bououdina M. Biosynthesis of Zinc oxide nanoparticles from essential oil of Eucalyptus globulus with antimicrobial and anti-biofilm activities. Materials Today Communications. 2020;25.
- Pizzorno Backx B, Rech Pedrosa B, Delazare T, Carmo Damasceno FRD, Leitao Dos Santos OA. Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles: A Study of the Dispersive Efficiency and Antimicrobial Potential of the Extracts of Plinia Cauliflora for Application in Smart Textiles Materials for Healthcare. Journal of Nanomaterials & Molecular Nanotechnology. 2018;07(01).
- Li L, Shao C, Wu Q, Wang Y, Liu M. Green Synthesis of Multifunctional Carbon Nanodots and Their Applications as a Smart Nanothermometer and Cr(VI) Ions Sensor. Nano. 2018;13(12).
- Pandey S, Goswami GK, Nanda KK. Green synthesis of biopolymer–silver nanoparticle nanocomposite: An optical sensor for ammonia detection. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2012;51(4).
- Tagad CK, Dugasani SR, Aiyer R, Park S, Kulkarni A, Sabharwal S. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their application for the development of optical fiber based hydrogen peroxide sensor. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2013;183.
- Shukla VK, Yadav RS, Yadav P, Pandey AC. Green synthesis of nanosilver as a sensor for detection of hydrogen peroxide in water. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2012;213-214.
- Ko T-H, Radhakrishnan S, Seo M-K, Khil M-S, Kim H-Y, Kim B-S. A green and scalable dry synthesis of NiCo2O4/graphene nanohybrids for high-performance supercapacitor and enzymeless glucose biosensor applications. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2017;696.
- Ahmadian-Fard-Fini S, Salavati-Niasari M, Ghanbari D. Hydrothermal green synthesis of magnetic Fe3O4-carbon dots by lemon and grape fruit extracts and as a photoluminescence sensor for detecting of E. coli bacteria. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2018;203.
- Li L-L, Zhang W-M, Yuan Q, Li Z-X, Fang C-J, Sun L-D, Wan L-J, Yan C-H. Room Temperature Ionic Liquids Assisted Green Synthesis of Nanocrystalline Porous SnO2and Their Gas Sensor Behaviors. Crystal Growth & Design. 2008;8(11).
- González-Ballesteros N, Prado-López S, Rodríguez-González J, Lastra M, Rodríguez-Argüelles M. Green synthesis of gold nanoparticles using brown algae Cystoseira baccata : Its activity in colon cancer cells. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2017;153.
- Sui Z, Meng Q, Zhang X, Ma R, Cao B. Green synthesis of carbon nanotube–graphene hybrid aerogels and their use as versatile agents for water purification. Journal of Materials Chemistry. 2012;22(18).
- Wu J, Wei Y, Ding H, Wu Z, Yang X, Li Z, Huang W, Xie X, Tao K, Wang X. Green Synthesis of 3D Chemically Functionalized Graphene Hydrogel for High-Performance NH3 and NO2 Detection at Room Temperature. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2020;12(18).
- Li Y, Xia Z, Gong Q, Liu X, Yang Y, Chen C, Qian C. Green Synthesis of Free Standing Cellulose/Graphene Oxide/Polyaniline Aerogel Electrode for High-Performance Flexible All-Solid-State Supercapacitors. Nanomaterials. 2020;10(8).