The usage of Eval and Viyankol verbs in Purananuru
Purananuru is one of the books from the Ettuttokai Compilation from the eighteen books of classical Tamil literature Patinen Merkanakku. There are four hundred poems in Purananuru from various poets and various places compiled as one book. Among Tamils, life was surrounded by four main concepts which are virtue, wealth, love, and the afterlife, this book of poems consists of three main concepts of life as stated before which is a virtue, wealth, and the afterlife as related to Puram. Everyone knows that the word Puram means outside. But here the word has been used in the position of the external discipline of life. It was called Purananuru because it has four hundred poems about external discipline. This study aims to find the verbs of eval and viyaṅkol in these four hundred poems and explain their usage. The researcher has found such verbs in twelve places from the poems and explained their usage. He has also analyzed the connection between the sections of the poems (tinai) and the words found earlier. The origin and meaning of eval and viyankol verbs found in poems were discussed in this study. It has been found that these types of verbs are included in these poems that praise the king and the hero because the verb eval and viyankol appear only in the Munnilai. Through this research, the researcher has learned the duty of analyzing such morphological elements with Tamil literary texts and bringing the needs of the times to the youth through this literature. Ancient Tamil language can also be studied through this along with vocabulary.
- Eval Vinai,
- Viyankol Vinai,
- Tamil Grammar
- Muthukumaran, P. (2003) Tamil Marapu, Varadar Publication, Srilanka.
- Puliyur kesigan. (2010) Purananooru Moolamum Uraiyum, Saratha Pathippagam, Chennai, India
- Puliyur kesigan. (2012) Tholkappiyam (Eluthu, Sol, Porul) Saratha Pathippagam, Chennai, India
- Rajagopalachariyar, K. (2015) Ilakkana vilakkam: solliyal, Kannapan patippakam, Chennai, India
- Seeni Naina Mohammed, S. (2015) Nalla Tamil Ilakkanam, Ungal Kural Enterprise, Penang, Malaysia
- Siddharthan. (2017) Sweet Tamil grammar in easy Tamil, Narmatha patippakam, Chennai, India
- Sujata. (2007) Purananooru Oor Yeliya Arimugam, Uyirmai patippakam, Chennai, India
Volume 4, Issue 1, Year 2023
How to Cite
Copyrights & License
Copyright (c) 2023 Sharan Suklam AL, Navin GG
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.