Comparison between PCA analysis and Grey based Taguchi analysis of TIG welding process parameters on Duplex stainless steel
Tungsten inert gas (TIG) welding on Duplex stainless steel (DSS) is more easy, comfortable and useful, if the process is precisely understood and controlled through development of the science & technology. TIG welding on DSS has been performed with the help of specific controlled welding process parameters. Welding quality has been strongly depended on these process parameters. In this study, some valuable welding parameters are chosen. These are welding current, shielding gas flow rate and speed of welding. These process parameters of TIG welding for ASTM/UNS 2205 DSS welds are optimized by using Principal Component Analysis (PCA) method and Grey based Taguchi’s L9 Orthogonal array (OA) experimental plan with the conception of signal to noise ratio (N/S). After that, compression results of above mentioned two analyses of TIG welding process parameters have been calculated. The quality of the TIG welding on DSS has been evaluated in term of ultimate tensile strength, yield strength and percentage of elongation. Compression results of both analyses indicate application feasibility for continuous improvement of welding quality on DSS in different components of chemical, oil and gas industries.
- TIG welding,
- UNS DSS2205,
- Principal Component Analysis (PCA) method,
- Grey based Taguchi analysis
- AK. Lakshminarayanan, K. Shanmugam, V. Balasubramanian, Effect of Welding Processes on Tensile and Impact Properties, Hardness and Microstructure of AISI 409M Ferritic Stainless Joints Fabricated by Duplex Stainless Steel Filler Metal, Journal of Iron and Steel Research, International, 16(2009) 66-72.
- G. Magudeeswaran, S.R. Nair, L. Sundar , N. Harikannan, Optimization of process parameters of the activated tungsten inert gas welding for aspect ratio of UNS S32205 duplex stainless steel welds, Journal of Defense Technology, 10(2014) 251-260.
- R. Badjia, B. Bacroix, M. Bouabdallah, Texture, microstructure and anisotropic properties in annealed2205 duplex stainless steel welds, Journal of Materials Characterization, 62(2011) 833-843.
- S.C. Juang, Y.S. Tarng, Process parameters selection for optimizing the weld pool geometry in the tungsten inert gas welding of stainless steel, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 122(2002) 33-37.
- Y.S. Tarng, W.H. Yang, Optimization of the weld bead geometry in gas tungsten arc welding by the Taguchi method, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 14(1998) 549-554.
- Y.S. Tarng, S.C. Juang, C.H. Chang, The use of grey-based Taguchi methods to determine sub merged arc welding process parameters in hard facing, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 128(2002) 1-6.
- R. Yilmaz, H. Uzun, Mechanical properties of austenitic stainless steels welded by GMAW and GTAW, Journal of Marmara for Pure and Applied Sciences 18(2002) 97-113
- C. Drei, TMT. Stainless, (2014), Practical guidelines for the fabrication of duplex stainless steel, (3rd Edition), International molybdenum association (IMOA), London, UK
- S. Datta, A. Bandyopadhyay, P.K. Pal, Grey-based taguchi method for optimization of bead geometry in submerged arc bead-on-plate welding, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 39(2007) 1136-1143.
- H. Rowlands, J. Antony, G. Knowles, An application of experimental design for process optimization. The TQM Magazine 12(2000) 78-83.
- S.H. Lim, C.M. Lee, W.J. Chung, A study of the optimal cutting condition of a high speed feeding type laser cutting machine by using Taguchi method, International Journal of Precision Engineering and manufacturing, 7(2006) 18-23.
- R.S. Parmar, (2003) Welding engineering and technology, 2nd edition, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi.
- J.J. Del Coz Díaz, P.M. Rodríguez, P.J.G. Nieto, D. Castro-Fresno, Comparative analysis of TIG welding distortions between austenitic and duplex stainless steels by FEM, Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, 30(2010) 2448-2459.
- A. ul-Haq, H. Weiland, J.H. Bunge, Textures and microstructures in duplex stainless steel, Materials Science and Technology, 10(1994) 289-298.
- P.K. Palani, N. Murugan, Sensitivity Analysis for Process Parameters in Cladding of Stainless Steel by Flux Cored Arc Welding, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 8/2(2006) 90-100.