Poykayil Appachan’s interventions for Dalit Liberation in Kerala
Poykayil Yohannan, better known as Poykayil Appachan and Sreekumar Gurudevan (1879-1939) was one of the unparalleled renaissance heroes in the history of Kerala. He made various and intellectual contributions for the liberation of the Dalit people of Kerala through songs, Bible commentaries and social activities. This paper explores his physical and spiritual work for the upliftment of Dalit people and his role in the construction of Kerala Renaissance. Without the backing of formal education or scholarship, he gained knowledge from life experiences, learn to read and write on his own, overcame adversity and became a social reformer. Liberating Dalit people with his eloquence and rational analysis skill.
- Chandrika, C.S., (2012) The Oxford India Anthology of Malayalam Dalit Writing, Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Chentharasseri, T.H.P., (2009) Ayyankali, Prabhat Book House, Trivandrum.
- Chentharasseri, T.H.P., (2017), Poyikayil Appachan, Mythri Books, Thiruvanathapuram.
- Kapikkad, S.M., (2017) Janathayum Janathipathyavum, Vidyarthi Publications, Kozhikode 2017.
- Kovoor, A.T., (1989), Selected works, Indian Athiest Publishers, New Delhi.
- Leninm K.M., (2018), Poyikayil Appachan, Keezhalarude Vimochakan, National Book Stall, Kottayam.
- Manoj, M.B., (Editor), (2013), Akhyanam, Sannithyam, Soundaryam, Vidyarthi Publications, Kozhikode.
- Rajesh Chirappad, (2018), Poyikayil Appachan, Chintha Publishers, Thiruvanathapuram.
- Santhosh, O.K., (2011), Poyikayil Sreekumara Guru, Kerala Bhasha Institute, Thiruvanathapuram.
- Swamy, V.V., and Anil, E.V., (Edited), (2008), Songs of Poyikayil Appachan, Translated by Ajaysekhar, IPRDSS, Kottayam.
- Thekkumbhagom Mohan, (2010), Adimagarganamgal, National book stall, Kottayam.
- Vasanthan, S.K., (1989), A Dictionary of Kerala History, National Book stall, Kottayam.