One of the fundamental purposes and goals of learning and teaching around the world has been the active participation of students in higher education institutions. The teacher's knowledge alone is insufficient to ensure that the students understand the subject during the curricular transaction. The manner in which the lecture is delivered is equally important. As a result, in addition to the conventional method, PowerPoint presentations are being used on a larger scale. Furthermore, it enhances students' sense of pleasure and commitment and assists the teacher in attaining its objectives. It can also play an important part in creating a dynamic environment for teaching and learning when deployed as an efficient cutting-edge tool. In this paper, the focus is given on understanding using PPT as an effective cutting edge tool for innovative teaching-learning and impressive presentation through a questionnaire-based online survey of 915 students and teachers from 20 different states and 2 Union Tertiaries of India and 6 overseas countries too. The analysis of the collected data confirms that using multiple modalities in PPT might bring together all types of learners, kinesthetic, auditory, and visual and provide them the opportunity to be active learners and increase their interactivity.
KeywordsPowerPoint Presentations Effective Cutting Edge Tool Innovative Teaching-learning Impressive Presentation
- Adams, C. (2008). PowerPoint's pedagogy, Phenomenology & Practice, 2(1) 63-79. https://doi.org/10.29173/pandpr19814
- Bartsch, R. A., & Cobern, K. M. (2003). Effectiveness of PowerPoint presentations in lectures, Computers & Education, 41(1), 77-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-1315(03)00027-7
- Boakye, C., & Buabeng, I. (2016). Introducing Teachers to PowerPoint Presentation in a Technologically Challenging Environment: Action Research, journal of Teacher Action Research, 2(2), 76-91.
- Bryant, S. M., & Hunton, J. E. (2000). The Use of Technology in the Delivery of Instruction: Implications for Accounting Educators and Education Researchers, Issues in Accounting Education, 15(1), 129-162. https://doi.org/10.2308/iace.2000.15.1.129
- Cladellas Pros, R., Castelló Tarrida, A., Badia Martin, M. D., & Cirera Amores, M. D. (2013). Effects of the PowerPoint methodology on content learning, Intangible Capital, 9(1), 184-198. https://doi.org/10.3926/ic.370
- Cornwell, L. (2014). What Is the Impact of PowerPoint Lectures on Learning? A Brief Review of Research, Hagerstown Community College / HCC, www.hagerstowncc.edu/sites/default/files/documents/14-fletcher-powerpoint-research-review.pdf
- Gambari, A. I., Yusuf, H. T., & Balogun, S. A. (2015). Effectiveness of Powerpoint Presentation on Students’ Cognitive Achievement in Technical Drawing, Malaysian Online Journal of Educational Technology, 3(4), 1-12. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/287994794_Effectiveness_of_PowerPoint_Presentation_On_Students'_Cognitive_Achievement_in_Technical_Drawing
- Graeff-Martins, A. S., Oswald, S., Obst Comassetto, J., Kieling, C., Rocha Gonçalves, R., & Rohde, L. A. (2006). A package of interventions to reduce school dropout in public schools in a developing country, European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 15(8), 442-449. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-006-0555-2
- Hashemi, M., Azizinezhad, M., & Farokhi, M. (2012). Power point as an innovative tool for teaching and learning in modern classes, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 31, 559-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.12.103
- Hertz, B., Van Woerkum, C., & Kerkhof, P. (2015). Why do scholars use PowerPoint the way they do?, Business and Professional Communication Quarterly, 78(3), 273-291. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F2329490615589171
- Hopper, K. B., & Waugh, J. B. (2014). Powerpoint: An Overused Technology Deserving of Criticism, but Indispensable, Educational Technology, 54(5), 29-34.
- Isseks, M. (2021). How PowerPoint Is Killing Education, Technology in Schools: A Balanced Perspective, ASCD, https://pdo.ascd.org/lmscourses/pd11oc109/media/tech_m1_reading_powerpoint.pdf
- Lari, F. S. (2014). The Impact of Using PowerPoint Presentations on Students’ Learning and Motivation in Secondary Schools, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 98, 1672-1677. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.03.592
- Levasseur, D. G., & Kanan Sawyer, J. (2006). Pedagogy Meets PowerPoint: A Research Review of the Effects of Computer-Generated Slides in the Classroom, Review of Communication, 6(1-2), 101-123. https://doi.org/10.1080/15358590600763383
- Lumen. (n.d.). Using PowerPoint and alternatives successfully, Boundless communications, Lumen Learning–Simple Book Production, https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-communications/chapter/using-powerpoint-and-alternatives-successfully/
- Nouri, H., & Abdus, S. (2005). The Effect of PowerPoint Presentations on Student Learning and Attitudes, Global Perspectives on Accounting Education, 2, 53-73.
- Parker, I. (2001). Absolute PowerPoint: Can a software package edit our thoughts, College of Arts and Sciences. https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/wilkins.5/group/powerpt.html
- Patel, A. (2007). Effectiveness of Power Point Presentation in Teaching-Learning, National Seminar on Technology Integrated Education, organize by CASE, MS University, Baroda, Gujarat, India.
- Poole, B. J. (2007). Powerpoint Presentations Creating slide shows and related teaching materials, University of Pittsburgh, Essential Microsoft Office, United States. https://www.pitt.edu/~poole/Office2007Tutorials/Lesson92007.pdf
- Priya, M. (2012). PowerPoint Use in Teaching, Computer Science Department, Illinois Institute of Technology. https://www.cs.iit.edu/~cs561/spring2012/PowerPoint/ChenQ.pdf
- R V S N S, R. (2016). PowerPoint Presentation vs Blackboard Teaching: A Comparative Study and Evaluation in Government Medical College, Ananthapuramu, Andhra Pradesh for II M.B.B.S Students: A Questionnaire Based Study, Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences, 5(26), 1352-1356. https://doi.org/10.14260/jemds/2016/319
- Reynolds, R. E., & Baker, D. R. (1987). The utility of Graphical Representations in Text: Some Theoretical and Empirical Issues, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 24(2), 161-173. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660240208
- Rowcliffe, S. (2003). Using PowerPoint Effectively in Science Education, School Science Review, 84 (309), 69-76. https://www.academia.edu/10024802/Using_PowerPoint_effectively_in_science_education
- Sewasew, D., Mengestie, M., & Abate, G. (2015). A comparative study on Power Point Presentation and Traditional Lecture Method in Material Understandability, Effectiveness and Attitude, Educational Research and Reviews, 10(2), 234-343.
- Shah, T., Patel, M. A., & Shah, H. (2017). A Comparative Study on the Teaching Effectiveness of Chalk and Talk versus Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation-An Institution Based Pilot Study of Physiotherapy Student, IJCRR Section: Healthcare Sci. Journal, 9(11), 40-43. https://ijcrr.com/uploads/1224_pdf.pdf
- Shute, J. W., & Cooper, B. S. (2015). Understanding in-School Truancy, Phi Delta Kappan, 96(6), 65-68. https://doi.org/10.1177/0031721715575303
- Strasser, N. (2014). Using Prezi in Higher Education, Journal of College Teaching & Learning (TLC), 11(2), 95-98. https://doi.org/10.19030/tlc.v11i2.8547
- Tang, D. K., & Intai, R. (2018). Effectiveness of audio-visual aids in Teaching Lower Secondary Science in a Rural Secondary School, Asia Pacific Journal of Educators and Education, 32, 91-106. https://doi.org/10.21315/apjee2017.32.7
- Urbanová, K., & Čtrnáctová, H. (2009). Efficiency of PowerPoint Presentation as a Component of Science Education, Problems of Education in the 21st Century, 17, 203-211.
- Uzun, A. M., & Kilis, S. (2019). Impressions of Pre-Service Teachers about Use of PowerPoint Slides by Their Instructors and Its Effects on Their Learning, International Journal of Contemporary Educational Research, 6(1) 40-52. https://doi.org/10.33200/ijcer.547253
- Wadesango, N., & Machingambi, S. (2017). Causes and Structural Effects of Student Absenteeism: A Case Study of Three South African Universities, Journal of Social Sciences, Taylor & Francis, 26(2) 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1080/09718923.2011.11892885
- Wahyuni, A. (n.d.). Teacher perception on the use of PowerPoint presentation in EFL classroom, Academia.edu. https://www.academia.edu/35084539