This article is concerned with ''learning strategies of English in English Foreign Language setting in Iran. The role of language strategy is to reach or complete a language learning process or language teaching process in target language. It is worth mentioning strategies of learning can be considered as the important factor in learning and teaching target language in order to help determine how language learners learn their target language in EFL or ESL settings. Subjects for this research project were eighty EFL students in the age range of 18 to 24 at under-graduate level in Bushehr Persian Gulf University. The two types of questionnaires were designed to reach the purpose of this study: the first test included age, gender, language attitude and subjects etc. and a learning strategies questionnaire has included a twenty-nine-test adapted from the original willing (1994) survey. However, the Effectiveness of Learning Strategies was revealed in this study.
KeywordsEnglish Language learning strategies English foreign learners The direct strategies and indirect strategies
- Birjandi, P. & Mosallanejad, P. (2010). FL/SL Teaching and Learning. Tehran: Sepahan Publication.
- Bose, M, N.K. (2005). English Language Teaching. (ELT) for Indian Students. India: New Century Book House.
- Burns, A. & Richards, J.C. (2012). Pedagogy and Practice in Second Language Teaching. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Caimi, A. (2006). audiovisual translation and language learning: The promotion of intralingual subtitles. The Journal of Specialized Translation, 6 86-98.
- Carter, R, and Nunan, D. (2001). Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Great Britain: Cambridge University Press.
- Corder, S. P. (1967). The Significance of Learner’s Errors. 1RAL, 5(4), 161-170.
- Ellis, R. (2003). Second Language Acquisition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Flowerdew, J. & Miller, L. (2005). Second language listening: Theory and practice. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Freeman, D.L., (2003). Teaching Language from Grammar to Grammar. Canada: Heinle.
- Gardner, R. C. (1985). Social psychology and second language learning: The role of attitudes and motivation. Edward Arnold: London.
- Gas, S. & Selinker, L. (2001). Second language acquisition. Manhwah: Lawrebce Erlbaum Associates.
- Johnson, K., & Johnson, H. (1999). Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Linguistics. UK: Blackwell Publishers Ltd.
- Khansir, A.A. (2014a). Trends Of Language Methods In Second Language Acquisition. International Journal of Language Learning and Applied Linguistics World (IJLLALW). 6 (2), 259-268.
- Khansir, A.A. (2014b). Teaching English is Art and English Teacher is Artist. International J. Soc. Sci. & Education, 4(4),838-843.
- Khansir, A.A. & Mosaddegh, A. (2014). The impact of translation and pictorial methods on Iranian EFL learner’s vocabulary learning and retention. International Journal of English Language and Literature Studies, 3(3), 250-265.
- Khansir, A. A., & Hozhabri, F. (2014). The Effect of Error Correction on Iranian EFL Learners Writing Achievement. International Journal of Language Learning and Applied Linguistics World (IJLLALW), 7(3), 188-197.
- Khansir, A.A., & Gholami Dashti, J. (2014). The Effect of Question-Generation Strategy on Iranian EFL Learners’Reading Comprehension Development. English Language Teaching, 7(4), 38-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/elt.v7n4p38
- Khansir, A.A. & Tajeri, M. (2015). The Relationship between Spelling and Pronunciation in English Language. Language in India, 15(12), 57-69.
- Khansir, A.A. & Pakdel, F. (2016). Place of Grammar in English Language Teaching. Language in India,16(2), 1-10.
- Khansir, A.A. & Pakdel, F. (2018a). Study of Errors and English Language Teaching: A Systematic Review. The Journal of Social Sciences Research, 4(12), 531-538. https://doi.org/10.32861/jssr.412.531.538
- Khansir, A.A. & Pakdel, F. (2018b). Place of Error Correction in English Language Teaching. Educational Process: International Journal, 7(3), 189-199.
- Khansir, A.A. & Pakdel, F. (2018c). Place of Motivation in English Language Teaching. English Literature and Language Review, 4(9), 139-142. http://arpgweb.com/?ic=journal&journal=9&info=aims
- Khansir, A.A, Ghani Dehkordi, F & and Mirzaei, M. (2021). Learning Strategies and English Language Teaching. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 11(6), pp. 734-741. http://dx.doi.org/10.17507/tpls.1106.19.
- Leaver, B, L, Ehrman, M, and Shekhtman, B. (2005). Achieving Success in Second Language Acquisition. UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Mandasari, B & Oktaviani, L. (2018). ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNING STRATEGIES: AN EXPLORATORY STUDY OF MANAGEMENT AND ENGINEERING STUDENTS. Premise: Journal of English Education and Applied Linguistics,7(2), 61-78.
- Naiman, N., Frohlich, M., Stern, H. & Tedesco, A. (1978). The Good Language Learner Research in Education Series no.7. Toronto: OIES.
- Nation, L.S.P. (2003). Vocabulary. In D. Nunan (ed.), Practical English Language Teaching. (D. Nunan ed.), New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 129-152.
- O'Malley, J.M. & Chamot, A.U. (1990). Learning strategies in second language acquisition. Cambridge: U Cambridge University Press.
- Oxford, R. (1990). Language Learning Strategies: What Every Teacher Should Know. USA: HEINLE CENGAGE Learning.
- Richards, JC. Platt, J., & Platt, H. (1992). Dictionary of Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics. Essex: Longman.
- Scarcella, R., & Oxford, R. (1992). the tapestry of language learning: individual in the communicative classroom. Boston, MA: Heinle & Heinle.
- Souriyavongsa, T., Jafre Zainol Abidin, M., Sam, R., Lai Mei, L., & Britto Aloysius, I .(2013). Investigating Learning English Strategies and English Needs of Undergraduate Students at the National University of Laos. English Language Teaching, 6, (10), 57_71.
- Ur, P. (1996). A Course in Language Teaching: Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Willing, K. (1994). Learning Strategies in Adult Migrant Education. Australia: National Centre for English Language Teaching and Research, Sydney.
- Wong, L,. C Nunan, D. (2011). The learning styles and strategies of effective language learners. System, 39 (2)144-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2011.05.004
- Ziahosseiny, S.M. (2009). Teaching English as an L2 focusing on Integrated Skills. Tehran: RAHNAMA Press.