This paper aims to discuss some properties and characteristics of complex predicates with reference to negation in Nepali. The paper will analyze how negation works with compound verb and serial verb constructions in Nepali. It will also discuss compound verbs like N+V along with V+V structure and analyze the conjunctive participle marker in certain construction. We will also look into the agreement system of negative compound verbs where certain agreement feature gets attached to the negation marker. In this paper we will enquire the condition of negation marker occurring as both prefix and suffix in Nepali serial verbs. We will also try to show how negative polarity items occur in Nepali complex predicate configuration. This paper is a descriptive account of the negative constructions in Nepali complex predicates. Theoretical account is outside the scope of this paper.
KeywordsCompound Verb Serial Verb Negation Agreement NPI
- Bhattacharyya, P., Chakrabarti, D., & Sarma, V. M. (2006). Complex predicates in Indian languages and wordnets. Language Resources and Evaluation, 40(3), 331-355.
- Butt, M.J. (1993) The Structure of Complex Predicates in Urdu. Ph.D. dissertation. Stanford University.
- Kubota, Y. (2014). The logic of complex predicates. Natural Language & Linguistic Theory, 32(4), 1145-1204.
- Lohani, Ram Raj (1999) Complex Predicates in Nepali. M.A dissertation. Tribhuvan University, Nepal.
- Miestamo, M. (2007). Negation–an overview of typological research. Language and linguistics compass, 1(5), 552-570.
- Montaut, A. (2016). Noun-Verb Complex Predicates in Hindi and the Rise of Non-Canonical Subjects. In Approaches to Complex Predicates (pp. 142-174). Brill.
- Noufal, P.T. (2016) On the Syntax of Verb-Verb Constructions in Malayalam. Ph.D. dissertation. English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad.
- Pokharel, M.P. (1991) Compound Verbs in Nepali. Contributions to Nepalese Studies 18(2), 149-173. (Reprinted in: Topics in Nepalese Studies, ed. By Yogendra P. Yadava & Warren W. Glovers, 1999, 185-208. Kathmandu: Royal Nepali Academy).