ArticlesVolume 4, Issue 1, Year 2022
Application of Methylene Blue Adsorption Technique in the Determination of Specific Surface Area of Termite Feathers
Methylene Blue (MB) adsorption technique was employed in the measurement of the Specific Surface Area (SSA) of Termite Feathers (TF). The adsorption study was carried out at 25°C and 270 rpm after which the residual concentration of MB was determined spectrophotometrically at a wavelength of 660 nm. The adsorption data was found to conform to the Langmuir model within the concentration range studied and Langmuir constants were determined for TF. The specific surface area was then calculated from the Langmuir isotherm constant ‘b’. Effect of pre-treatment temperature on SSA was also considered at 30, 40, 50 and 60OC. The specific surface area was found to be 58.85 m2/g for the raw TF with values of 60.34, 78.52, 99.64 and 118.26 m2/g for the samples pre-treated at 30, 40, 50 and 60OC respectively. Finally, the specific surface area value obtained by MB adsorption technique was then compared with those obtained by Orth phenanthroline (OP) and p-nitrophenol (PNP) adsorption
- Methylene Blue,
- Langmuir Constants,
- Specific Surface Area
- S.J. Gregg, K.S.W. Sing, (1982) Adsorption, Surface Area and Porosity, Academic Press, London.
- A.G. Assaf, R.H. Haas, C.B. Purves, Purves, A new interpretation of the cellulose- water adsorption isotherm and data concerning the effect of swelling and drying on the colloidal surface of cellulose, Journal of American Chemical Society, 66 (1) (1944) 66-73.
- M.V. Merchant, A study of water swollen cellulose fibers which have been liquid-exchanged and dried from hydrocarbons, TAPPI publications, 40 (9) (1957) 771-781.
- M.F. Froix, R. Nelson, The interaction of water cellulose from nuclear magnetic resonance relaxation times, Macromolecules, 8 (6) (1975) 726-730.
- A.W. Adamson, (1982) Physical Chemistry of Surfaces, Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- G.H. Giles, Z.H. McEwan, S.N. Nakhwa, D. Smith, 786. Studies in adsorption. Part XI. A system of classification of solution adsorption isotherms, and its use in diagnosis of adsorption mechanisms and in measurement of specific surface areas of solids, Journal. Chemical. Society, (1960) 3973-3993.
- C.H. Giles, S.N. Nakhwa, Studies in adsorption. XVI† The measurement of specific surface areas of finely divided solids by solution adsorption, Journal of Applied Chemistry, 12 (6) (1962) 266-272.
- C.H. Giles, A.P. D'Silva, I. A. Easton, A general treatment and classification of the solute adsorption isotherm part. II. Experimental interpretation, Journal of Colloid Interface Science, 47 (3) (1974) 766-777.
- J.J. Kipling, (1965) CHAPTER 6 - Adsorption of Gases from Solution, Adsorption from Solutions of Non-electrolytes, Academic Press, London.
- O. Inel, F. Tumsek, The Measurement of Surface Areas of Some Silicates by Solution Adsorption, Turkish Journal of Chemistry, 24 (1) (2000) 9-20.
- C.H. Giles, A.P. De Silva, Molecular Sieve Effects of Powders Towords Dyes. Measurement of Porosity by Dye Adsorption, Transactions of the Faraday Society, 65 (1969) 1943-1951.
- S.S. Barton, The adsorption of methylene blue by active carbon, Carbon 25 (3) (1987) 343-350.
- S. Dev, M. Singh, Metallic sulfide nanoparticles anchored graphene oxide: Synthesis, characterization and reduction of methylene blue to leuco methylene blue in aqueous mixtures, Journal of Physical Chemistry Solids,139 (2020) 109335.
- M.H. Hussin, N.A. Pohan, Z.N. Garba, M.J. Kassim, A.A. Rahim, N. Brosse, M. Yemloul, M.R.N. Fazita, M.K.M. Haafiz, Physicochemical of microcrystalline cellulose from oil palm fronds as potential methylene blue adsorbents, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 92 (2016) 11–19.
- C. Kaewprasit, E. Hequet, N. Abidi, J.P. Gourlot, Application of Methylene Blue Adsorption to Cotton Fiber Specific Surface Area Measurement: Part I. Methodology, The Journal of Cotton Science, 2 (1998) 164-173.
- S. Ardizzone, G. Gabrielli, P. Lazzari, Adsorption of methylene blue at solid/liquid and water/air interfaces, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 76 (8) (1993) 149–157.
- A.O. Salaudeen, C.O. Chibueze, Comparing the Different Methods Used in the Determination of Thermodynamic Parameters Using Adsorption of Pb (II) on to Chicken Feather as an Example, Journal of Materials Science Research and Reviews, 6 (2) 2020 1-11.
- L. Tombolato, E.E. Novitskaya, P.Y. Chen, F.A. Sheppard, J. McKittrick, Microstructure, elastic properties and deformation mechanisms of horn keratin, Acta Biomaterial, 6(2) (2010) 319-330.
- K.O. Boadu, O.F. Joel, D.K Essumang, B.O. Evbuomwan, Comparative Studies of the Physicochemical Properties and Heavy Metals adsorption Capacity of Chemical Activated Carbon from Palm Kernel, Coconut and Groundnut Shells, Journal of Applied Science and Environment Management, 22 (11) (2018) 1833–1839.
- A. Hironobu, F. Mitsuya ,T. Tsuguo, Reduction of adsorption capacity of coconut shell activated carbon for organic vapors due to moisture contents, Industrial Health, 48 (4) (2010) 427-437.
- Z. Li, L. Ming, S. Yan, Z. Yaping, Effect of moisture in microporous activated carbon on the adsorption of methane, Carbon, 39(5) (2001) 773-776.
- B.H. Hameed, A.M. Din, A.L. Ahmad, Adsorption of Methylene Blue onto Bamboo Based Activated Carbon: kinetics and Equilibrium Studies, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 137 (3) (2007) 695-699.
- A.O. Salaudeen, Biosorption of Heavy Metals from Aqueous Solutions: An Insight and Review, Archives of Industrial Engineering, 3(1) (2020) 1-31.
- H.S. Yuh, Isotherms for the Sorption of Lead onto Peat: Comparison of Linear and Non-Linear Methods, Pollution Journal of Environmental Studies, 15(1) (2006) 81-86.
- P.T. Hang, G.W. Brindley, Methylene Blue Absorption by Clay Minerals. Determination of Surface Areas and Cation Exchange Capacities (Clay-Organic Studies XVIII), Clays Clay Minerals, 18 (1970) 203-212.
- G.D. Parfitt, C.H. Rochester, (1983) Adsorption from Solution at the Solid-Liquid Interface, Academic Press, London.
- C. H. Giles, I. A. Easton, R. B. Mckay, 858. Mechanism of adsorption of cationic dyes by alumina, and a note on heat changes in solution adsorption, Journal of Chemical Society, (1964) 4495-4503.
- C.H. Giles, I.A. Easton, R.B. Mckay, C.C. Patel, N.B. Shah, D. Smith, Association of adsorbed aromatic solutes, Transactions of the Faraday Society, 62 (1966) 1963-1975.
- J.J. Kipling, R.B. Wilson, Adsorption of methylene blue in the determination of surface areas, Journal of Applied Chemistry, 10 (3) (1960) 109-113.
- M. Zawdzki, A.W. Adamson (1987) Proc. 2nd Eng. Found. Conf. Fundam. Adsorption, New York, United States of America.
- S. Ardizzone, G. Gabrielli, P. Lazzari, Adsorption of Methylene Blue at solid/liquid and water/air interfaces, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 76 (8) (1993) 149-157.
- A.O Salaudeen, F.W Abdulrahman, H.D Aliyu, H. Abudukadiri, Isotherm Studies of the Biosorption of Pb (II) and Cu (II) using Chicken Feather, Asian Journal of Advanced Research and Reports, 1(4) (2018) 1-9.
Volume 4, Issue 1, Year 2022
How to Cite
Copyrights & License
Copyright (c) 2022 Salaudeen Abdulwasiu Olawale, Aduloju Emmanuel Ibukun, Yakubu Hajara
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.