Anatomical investigation, phytochemical screening and pharmacognostical evaluation of the plant root - Ixora johnsonii Hook.f
A preliminary investigation is provided to encouraging results for comprehensive studies on different aspects of the plant root - Ixora johnsonii Hook.f. Root of this plant was studied to fix the parameters for pharmacognostical standards. The present study are highlights the pharmacognostical evaluation of root which includes macroscopic and microscopic features. Further, preliminary phytochemical analyses, organoleptic character, fluorescence behavior of different extracts and histochemical localization of phytochemicals. As there is no pharmacognostical work on record of this ethno botanically much valued drug, the present work was taken up with a view to lay down standards, which could be useful to detect the authenticity of this pretty plant.
- Ixora johnsonii,
- M. Dan, E.S. Santhosh Kumar, J. Thomas, On the Identity of Ixora johnsonii (Rubiaceae) - A less known endemic plant of Southern Western Ghats, India, Rheedea, 7 (1997) 73-76. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.4811.4568
- IUCN. 2010. Red List of Threatened species http://www.iucnredlist.org/
- M.G. Prasanthkumar, P. Sujanapal, Conservation status and distribution range of Ixora johnsonii Hook. f. (Rubiaceae), Current Science, 95 (2008) 1004-1005.
- M. Usha, M. Reginald Appavoo, G. Immanuel, Pharmacognostical Study and Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of the Leaf of Ixora johnsonii Hook.f. - A Rare, Endemic, Critically Endangered Species of Southern Western Ghats of Kerala, India. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Phytopharmacological Research, 1(2012) 263-270.
- Binu, S. 1999. Ethanobotany of Pathanamthitta district, Kerala State, India. Ph.D thesis submitted to the University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India.
- J.E. Sass, (1940) Elements of Botanical Microtechnique, Nature, McGraw Hill Book Co; New York. 241.
- D. A. Johansen, (1940) Plant microtechnique, Mc Graw-Hill Book Company, New York, 523.
- T. P.O Brien, N. Feder, M.E. Mc Cull, Polychromatic Staining of Plant Cell walls by toluidine blue-O, Protoplasma, 59 (1964) 364-373.
- K. Easu, (1964) Plant Anatomy, John Wiley and sons, New York, 767.
- K.V. Krishnamoorthy, (1988) Methods in Plant Histochemistry, Viswanathan Printers and Publishers, Chennai, 29 – 34.
- Anon, (1966) Pharmacopoeia of India, 2nd edition, Govt. of India, Manager of Publications, New Delhi. 947-948.
- Anon, (1996) Indian Pharmacopoeia, 4nd edition. Controller of Publication, Govt of India, New Delhi, A53-A54.
- Anon, (1998) Quality Control Methods for Medicinal Plant Materials, WHO, Geneva.
- R.T. Pratt, E.R. Chase, Fluorescence power vegetable drugs in particular to development system of identification, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, 38 (1949) 324-331. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.3030380612
- A. Sofowora, (1993) Medicinal Plants and traditional medicine in Africa, 2nd Edition, Spectrum books Ltd, Ibadan, Nigeria, 289.
- G.E. Trease, W.C. Evans, (1978) A text book of Pharmacognosy, Braillier Tindal and Macmillan Publishers, London, 256.
- K.R. Khandelwal, (2005) Practical Pharmacognosy, Nirali Prakashan Publishers, Pune, 30.
- J.B. Harborne, (1973) Phytochemical methods, Chapman and Hall Ltd, London, 30,113.
- C. R. Sudhakaran Nair, (2001) Studies on the pharmacological and Biochemical effects of the root of Ixora coccinea. M.Phil dissertation submitted to the University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India.