Growth, optical, spectral, thermal and mechanical investigations of organic NLO crystal cis-2, 6-bis(4-chlorophenyl)-3, 3-dimethylpiperidin-4-one
The single crystal of cis-2,6-bis(4-chlorophenyl)-3,3-dimethylpiperidin-4-one (4C3DMPO) has been grown using a slow evaporation technique. 4C3DMPO is a non-centrosymmetric crystal which crystallizes in the orthorhombic system with space group Pna21. Benzene is used as a solvent for the crystal growth based on solubility studies. The mechanical studies, using microhardness methods, have also been carried out. The compound is characterised using UV, FT-IR and NMR spectral studies. Furthermore, the thermal stability of the crystal is established by TG/DTA. The nonlinear optical studies (SHG) of the crystal have been determined using the Kurtz and Perry powder technique and the activity observed is 2.5 times greater than that of KDP.
- Crystal growth,
- Thermal properties
- Williams D. Nonlinear Optical Properties of Organic and Polymeric Materials. ACS SymposiumSeries. 1983;233.
- Aggarwal M, Choi J, Wang W, Bhat K, Lal R, Shields AD, Penn BG, Frazier DO. Solution growth of a novel nonlinear optical material: L-histidine tetrafluoroborate. Journal of Crystal Growth. 1999;204(1-2).
- Frazier CC, Chauchard EA, Lee CH, Cockerham MP. Second-harmonic generation in aromatic organic compounds. Journal of the Optical Society of America B. 1987;4(11).
- Deepthy A, Bhat H. Growth and characterization of ferroelectric glycine phosphite single crystals. Journal of Crystal Growth. 2001;226(2-3).
- Ponnuswamy S, Mohanraj V, Ilango S, Thenmozhi M, Ponnuswamy M. Growth, thermal, mechanical, structural and optical properties of organic NLO crystals of novel cis-2,6-bis(2-chlorophenyl)-3,3-dimethylpiperidin-4-one. Journal of Molecular Structure. 2015;1081.
- Ponnuswamy S, Mohanraj V, Sakthivel P, Chandramohan A. Growth, thermal and optical properties of cis-2,6-diphenyl-3-isopropylpiperidin-4-one – A new class of organic NLO material. Optik. 2014;125(19).
- Manivannan S. Synthesis, crystal growth, structural and optical properties of an organic NLO material. Journal of Crystal Growth. 2004;262(1-4).
- Vasudevan V, Ramesh Babu R, Ramamurthi K. Surface topography and optical studies on polystyrene (PS) coated l-Lysine monohydrochloride dihydrate (L-LMHCl) single crystals. Materials Letters. 2012;68.
- Vizhi RE, Kalainathan S. Growth and characterization of a new organic NLO material: 1,3 Diglycinyl thiourea. Materials Letters. 2008;62(4-5).
- Vijayan N, Ramesh Babu R, Gopalakrishnan R, Ramasamy P. Some studies on the growth and characterization of organic nonlinear optical acetoacetanilide single crystals. Journal of Crystal Growth. 2004;267(3-4).
- Long NJ. Organometallic Compounds for Nonlinear Optics—The Search for En-light-enment!. Angewandte Chemie International Edition in English. 1995;34(1).
- Ilango SS, Ponnuswamy S, Gayathri P, Thiruvalluvar A, Butcher RJ. r-2,c-6-Bis(4-chlorophenyl)-c-3,t-3-dimethylpiperidin-4-one. Acta Crystallographica Section E Structure Reports Online. 2008;64(12).
- Ilango SS, Ponnuswamy S, Viswanathan T. Conformational and antimicrobial studies oncertain r-2, c-6-diarylpiperidin-4-ones. Indian Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry. 2010;20.
- McArdle B, Sherwood JN. the Growing of Organic Crystals in Advanced Crystal Growth. New York: Prentice-Hall; 1987.
- Lu K, Wei WD, Wang JT. Microhardness and fracture properties of nanocrystal in E Ni-P alloy. Scripta Metallurgia. 1990;24.
- Kurtz SK, Perry TT. A Powder Technique for the Evaluation of Nonlinear Optical Materials. Journal of Applied Physics. 1968;39(8).