Isolation and characterization of drought stress tolerant plant growth promoting rhizobacter from chilli crop
Plant growth promoting rhizobacter (PGPR) are adapted to adverse conditions and protect plants from the deleterious effects of some environmental stresses. The aim of the present study, the drought tolerant plants growth promoting bacteria (PGRB) were isolate and characterized from chilli crop (CapsicumannumL). From the rhizosphere soil twelve bacteria were isolated and characterized based on their biochemical and sugar fermentation. The drought stress tolarent stains were screened by production of exo polysaccharides and the plant growth promoting activities like production of IAA and PO4 solubilization were screened. Therefore the present study report that PGRB showed good stress tolerance under drought condition in chilli crop.
- Stress tolerant,
- Chilli crop,
- Exotic polysaccharide
- M.F. Quartacci, C. Pinzino, C. Sgherri, F. Dalla Vecchia and F. Navari?Izzo, Growth in excess copper induces changes in the lipid composition and fluidity of PSII?enriched membranes in wheat, Physiologia Plantarum, 108(1) (2000) 87-93, https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1399-3054.2000.108001087.x.
- C.L.M. Sgherri, M. Maffei and F. Navari-Izzo, Antioxidative enzymes in wheat subjected to increasing water deficit and rewatering, Journal of Plant Physiology, 157(3) (2000) 273-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0176-1617(00)80048-6.
- S. Yang, B. Vanderbeld, J. Wan and Y. Huang, Narrowing down the targets: towards successful genetic engineering of drought-tolerant crops, Molecular plant, 3(3) (2010) 469-490. https://doi.org/10.1093/mp/ssq016.
- P. Rahdari and S.M. Hoseini, Drought stress: a review, International Journal of Agronomy and Plant Production, 3 (10) (2012) 443-446.
- I. Yardanov, V. Velikova and T. Tsonev, Plant responses to drought and stress tolerance, Bulgarian Journal of Plant Physiology Special Issue, (2003) 187-206.
- V.C. Baligar, N.K. Fageria and Z.L. He, Nutrient use efficiency in plants, Communications in soil science and plant analysis, 32(7-8) 2001 921-950. https://doi.org/10.1081/CSS-100104098.
- C.A. Jaleel, P. Manivannan, A. Wahid, M. Farooq, H.J. Al-Juburi, R. Somasundaram, and R. Panneerselvam, Drought stress in plants: a review on morphological characteristics and pigments composition, International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 11(1) (2009) 100-105.
- B.R. Glick, C. Liu, S. Ghosh and E.B. Dumbroff, Early development of canola seedlings in the presence of the plant growth-promoting rhizobacterium Pseudomonas putida GR12-2. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 29(8) (1997) 1233-1239. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-0717(97)00026-6.
- S. Timmusk and E.G.H. Wagner, The plant-growth-promoting rhizobacterium Paenibacillus polymyxa induces changes in Arabidopsis thaliana gene expression: a possible connection between biotic and abiotic stress responses, Molecular plant-microbe interactions, 12(11) (1999) 951-959. https://doi.org/10.1094/MPMI.19220.127.116.111.
- A. Marulanda, R. Porcel, J.M. Barea and R. Azcon, Drought tolerance and antioxidant activities in lavender plants colonized by native drought-tolerant or drought-sensitive Glomus species, Microbial ecology, 54(3) 2007 543, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00248-007-9237-y.
- S. Mayak, T. Tirosh and B.R. Glick, Plant growth-promoting bacteria that confer resistance to water stress in tomatoes and peppers, Plant Science, 166(2) (2004) 525-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2003.10.025.
- Z.A. Zahir, A. Munir, H.N. Asghar, B. Shaharoona and M. Arshad, Effectiveness of rhizobacteria containing ACC deaminase for growth promotion of peas (Pisum sativum) under drought conditions, Journal of Microbiol Biotechnology, 18(5) (2008) 958-963.
- V.Z.A.S. Sandhya, M. Grover, G. Reddy and B. Venkateswarlu, Alleviation of drought stress effects in sunflower seedlings by the exopolysaccharides producing Pseudomonas putida strain GAP-P45, Biology and fertility of soils, 46(1) (2009) 17-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00374-009-0401-z.
- J.H. Becking, Nitrogen-fixing bacteria of the genus Beijerinckia, Soil Science, 118(3), (1974) 196-212.
- H.W.Jr. Seeley and P.J. VanDemark, Microbes in action. A laboratory manual of microbiology, Microbes in action, A laboratory manual of microbiology (1962).
- J. Koneman, D. Allen, T. Janda, K. Schreckenberger and L. Winn, Microbiología diagnostic, (1988).
- J.G. Cappuccino and N. Sherman, Microbiology: a laboratory manual, The Benjamin/ cunnings publishing company Inc. (4th edition), Menlopark, California, (1996).
- J.M. Bric, R.M. Bostock and S.E. Silverstone, Rapid in situ assay for indoleacetic acid production by bacteria immobilized on a nitrocellulose membrane, Applied and environmental Microbiology, 57(2) (1991) 535-538.
- R.I. Pikovskaya, Mobilization of phosphorus in soil in connection with vital activity of some microbial species, Mikrobiologiya, 17 (1948), 362-370.