ArticlesVolume 5, Issue 1, Year 2023
Adsorption efficiency of activated carbon prepared from Palm kernel shells in removal of dyes used in textile industry
Palm shell has been utilized to create an effective activated carbon adsorbent in this investigation. The adsorbent is being used to remove direct dyes from dyeing waste in textiles. Thermo Gravimetric Analysis, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy were used to characterize the synthesized carbon. The particles are very porous and irregular in shape, based on the SEM analysis. This particle shape is effective at removing dye and toxic metals. TGA analysis has been shown to be highly stable under varied temperature circumstances. The FTIR data revealed the existence of functional groups that are responsible for dye and toxic metal elimination. The AAS analysis showed that dye degrading ability rises at a time interval and the adsorption ability of activated carbon. These findings suggest that Palm shell carbon could be used as a low cost alternative to commercial activated carbon in the removal of dyes from wastewater.
- Activated carbon,
- S. Arumugam, M.S. Abul Asan Sathali, S. Ramaiah and G. Krishnan, Diversification of Dawkinsia filamentosa (Valenciennes, 1844) and their growth conditions by the impact of toxic metals in the river Tamiraparani. Ecotoxicology, 30 (2021) 1043-1055.
- H. Ali, E. Khan, I. Ilahi, Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology of Hazardous Heavy Metals: Environmental Persistence, Toxicity, and Bioaccumulation. Journal of Chemistry, (2019) 6730305.
- A.T. Paulino, M.R. Guilherme, A.V. Reis, E.B. Tambourgi, J. Nozaki, E.C. Muniz, Capacity of adsorption of Pb2+ and Ni2+ from aqueous solutions by chitosan produced from silkworm chrysalides in different degrees of deacetylation. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 147(2007) 139–147.
- S. Hou, N. Zheng, L. Tang, X. Ji, Y. Li, X. Hua, Pollution characteristics, sources, and health risk assessment of human exposure to Cu, Zn, Cd and Pb pollution in urban street dust across China between 2009 and 2018. Environment International, 128(2019) 430–437.
- C. Men, R. Liu, F. Xu, Q. Wang, L. Guo, Z. Shen, Pollution characteristics, risk assessment, and source apportionment of heavy metals in road dust in Beijing. China Science of The Total Environment, 612 (2018) 138–147.
- S. Arumugam, S. Ramaiah, Concentrations of toxic metals (Pb, Cd, Cr) in the tissues and their effects on diversification of Devario aequipinnatus populations, International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 28(2018) 379–390.
- S. Zierler, Drinking Water and Reproductive Health, Epidemiology, 3(1992) 77–78.
- C. Anyika, N. A. M. Asri, Z. A. Majid, A. Yahya, J. Jaafar, Synthesis and characterization of magnetic activated carbon developed from palm kernel shells. Nanotechnology for Environmental Engineering, 2(2017) 1–25.
- W.M.A.W. Daud, W.S.W. Ali, Comparison on pore development of activated carbon produced from palm shell and coconut shell. Bioresource Technology, 93(1), (2004) 63-69.
- K.S. Ukanwa, K. Patchigolla, R. Sakrabani, E. Anthony, Preparation and Characterisation of Activated Carbon from Palm Mixed Waste Treated with Trona Ore. Molecules, 25(21), (2020) 1–18.
- N.A. Rashidi, S. Yusup, A review on recent technological advancement in the activated carbon production from oil palm wastes, Chemical Engineering Journal, 314 (2017) 277-290.
- S. Acosta-Ferreira, O.S. Castillo, J.T. Madera-Santana, D.A. Mendoza-García, C.A. Núñez-Colín, C. Grijalva-Verdugo, A.G. Villa-Lerma, A.T. Morales-Vargas, J.R. Rodríguez-Núñez, Production and physicochemical characterization of chitosan for the harvesting of wild microalgae consortia. Biotechnology Reports, 28 (2020) 00554.
- J.R. Rodríguez-Núñez, T.J. Madera-Santana, H. Burrola-Núñez, E.G. Martínez-Encinas, Composite materials based on PLA and its applications in food packaging. Composites Materials for Food Packaging, (2018) 355-399.
- R.A. Mauricio-Sánchez, R. Salazar, J.G. Luna-Bárcenas, A. Mendoza-Galván, FTIR spectroscopy studies on the spontaneous neutralization of chitosan acetate films by moisture conditioning. Vibrational Spectroscopy, 94 (2018) 1-6.
- A.H. Uddin, R.S. Khalid, M. Alaama, A.M. Abdualkader, A. Kasmuri, S.A. Abbas, Comparative study of three digestion methods for elemental analysis in traditional medicine products using atomic absorption spectrometry Journal of Analytical Science and Technology, 7 (2016).
- H. Tahir, M. Sultan, Q. Jahanzeb, Removal of basic dye methylene blue by using bioabsorbents Ulva lactuca and Sargassum. African Journal of Biotechnology, 7(15) (2008) 2649-2655.
- R. Saravanan, M. M. Khan, V. K. Gupta, E. Mosquera, F. Gracia, V. Narayanan, A. Stephen, ZnO/Ag/Mn2O3 nanocomposite for visible light-induced industrial textile effluent degradation, uric acid and ascorbic acid sensing and antimicrobial activity. RSC Advances, 5(44), (2015) 34645–34651.
- C. Asada, Y. Nakamura, F. Kobayashi, Waste reduction system for production of useful materials from un-utilized bamboo using steam explosion followed by various conversion methods. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 23(2) (2005) 131–137.
- S. Lei, J. Miyamoto, H. Kanoh, Y. Nakahigashi, K. Kaneko, Enhancement of the methylene blue adsorption rate for ultramicroporous carbon fiber by addition of mesopores. Carbon, 44(10) 1884–1890 (2006).
- O.S. Chan, W.H. Cheung, G. McKay, Single and multicomponent acid dye adsorption equilibrium studies on tyre demineralised activated carbon. Chemical Engineering Journal, 191(2012) 162–170.
- E.L.K. Mui, W.H. Cheung, M. Valix, G. McKay, Mesoporous activated carbon from waste tyre rubber for dye removal from effluents. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 130(1-3) (2010) 287–294.
- B. Wu, M.H. Zhou, Recycling of waste tyre rubber into oil absorbent. Waste Management, 29(1) (2009) 355-359.
- A. Bazargan, C. W. Hui and G. McKay, Porous Carbons – Hyperbranched Polymers – Polymer Solvation ed T Long, B Voit and O Okay (Cham: Springer) Porous carbons from plastic waste 266 1-25 Adv. Polym. Sci, (2013).
- M. S. Chiou, H.Y. Li, Adsorption behavior of reactive dye in aqueous solution on chemical cross-linked chitosan beads. Chemosphere, 50(8) (2003) 1095–1105.
- S. Madhavakrishnan, K. Manickavasagam, R. Vasanthakumar, K. Rasappan, R. Mohanraj and S. Pattabhi, Adsorption of Crystal Violet Dye from Aqueous Solution Using Ricinus Communis Pericarp Carbon as an Adsorbent. E-Journal of Chemistry, 6(4) (2009) 1109-1116.
- S. Wang, G. Dai, H. Yang, Z. Luo, Lignocellulosic biomass pyrolysis mechanism: A state-of-the-art review. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 62 (2017) 33-86.
- N. Petrov, T. Budinova, M. Razvigorova, J. Parra, P. Galiatsatou, Conversion of olive wastes to volatiles and carbon adsorbents. Biomass and Bioenergy, 32(12) (2008) 1303-1310.
- S. Senthilkumaar, P. Kalaamani, C.V. Subburaam, Liquid phase adsorption of Crystal violet onto activated carbons derived from male flowers of coconut tree. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 136(3) (2006) 800-808.
- A.E. Ofomaja, Y.S. Ho. Equilibrium sorption of anionic dye from aqueous solution by palm kernel fibre as sorbent. Dyes and Pigments, 74(1) (2007) 60-66.
- E. Koksal, B. Afsin, A. Tabak, B. Caglar, Structural Characterization of Aniline-Bentonite Composite by FTIR, DTA/TG, and PXRD Analyses and BET Measurement. Spectroscopy Letters, 44(2) (2011) 77-82.
- Z. Eren, F.N. Acar, Adsorption of Reactive Black 5 from an aqueous solution: equilibrium and kinetic studies. Desalination, 194(1-3) 1-10 (2006).
- M.A.M. Salleh, D.K. Mahmoud, W.A.W.A. Karim, A. Idris, Cationic and anionic dye adsorption by agricultural solid wastes: A comprehensive review. Desalination, 280(1-3) (2011) 1-13.
- A.E. Ofomaja, Sorptive removal of Methylene blue from aqueous solution using palm kernel fibre: Effect of fibre dose. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 40(1) (2008) 8–18.
Volume 5, Issue 1, Year 2023
How to Cite
Copyrights & License
Copyright (c) 2023 Sabaridasan Arumugam, Harinath Vinu, Soranam Ramaiah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.