ArticlesVolume 5, Issue 1, Year 2023
Commercial Grade Vitamin C Protection Against Alcohol-Induced Lipid Peroxidation
Alcohol is a psychoactive substance that provides energy, but it is also responsible for the development of numerous diseases. The main aim of this study is to access the protective effect of vitamin C on alcohol induced lipid peroxidation and dyslipidaemia in adult male Wistar rats. Forty male Wistar rats weighing between 150g-250g were randomly grouped into four groups of five rats each after a fourteen days acclimatization period. The control group received food and water only, test group B received 6000 mg/kg of alcohol, group C received 100 mg/kg of vitamin C, group D received 200 mg/kg of vitamin C, group E received 300mg/kg of vitamin C, group F received 6000 mg/kg of alcohol and 100 mg/kg of vitamin C, group G received 6000 mg/kg of alcohol and 200 mg/kg of vitamin C, and group H received 6000 mg/kg of alcohol and 300 mg/kg of vitamin C. The administration was done for twenty-one days, blood was collected form he ocular vein and analysed for level of lipid peroxidation and fasting lipid profile, using standard procedure. The results showed that alcohol increased the level of lipid peroxidation, low density lipoprotein, cholesterol and triglycerides, and decreased the level of high-density lipoprotein. However, in the co-administration groups, positive changes were noticed in the level of lipid peroxidation, LDL, cholesterol, and triglycerides, and there was an improvement in the level of HDL. Positive changes were also seen in the groups administered with different doses of vitamin C. The study's findings suggest that vitamin C may be useful in managing alcohol-induced toxicity since it had a favourable effect on lipid profile and peroxidation.
- Lipid Peroxidation,
- Lipid Profile,
- Vitamin C
- M.C. Toffolo, A.S. de Aguiar-Nemer, V.A. da Silva-Fonseca, Alcohol: effects on nutritional status, lipid profile and blood pressure. Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2(6) (2012) 205-211.
- G. Sebastiani, C. Borrás-Novell, M. Alsina Casanova, M. Pascual Tutusaus, S. Ferrero Martínez, M. D. Gómez Roig, O. García-Algar. The effects of alcohol and drugs of abuse on maternal nutritional profile during pregnancy. Nutrients, 10(8) (2018) 1008.
- S. Singh, C. Brocker, V. Koppaka, Y. Chen, B.C. Jackson, A. Matsumoto, D.C. Thompson, V. Vasiliou, Aldehyde dehydrogenases in cellular responses to oxidative/electrophilicstress. Free radical biology and medicine, 56 (2013) 89-101.
- B. Xi, S.P. Veeranki, M. Zhao, C. Ma, Y. Yan, J. Mi, Relationship of alcohol consumption to all-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer-related mortality in US adults. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 70(8) (2017) 913-922.
- J. Rehm, D. Baliunas, G.L. Borges, K. Graham, H. Irving, T. Kehoe, C.D. Parry, J. Patra, S. Popova, V. Poznyak, M. Roerecke, The relation between different dimensions of alcohol consumption and burden of disease: an overview. Addiction, 105(5) (2010) 817-843.
- M.O. Afolabi, A.E. Ayilara, O.A. Akinyemi, O.J. Ola-Olorun, Survey of drug use among young people in Ife, Nigeria. African Journal of Drug and Alcohol Studies, 11(2) (2012).
- J. Rehm, S. Imtiaz, A narrative review of alcohol consumption as a risk factor for global burden of disease. Substance abuse treatment, prevention, and policy, 11(1) (2016) 1-2.
- J. Rehm, G.E. Gmel Sr, G. Gmel, O.S. Hasan, S. Imtiaz, S. Popova, C. Probst, M. Roerecke, R. Room, A.V. Samokhvalov, K.D. Shield, The relationship between different dimensions of alcohol use and the burden of disease—an update. Addiction, 112(6) (2017) 968-1001.
- F.S. Al-Fartusie, S.N. Mohssan, Essential trace elements and their vital roles in human body. Indian Journal of Advances in Chemical Science, 5(3) (2017) 127-136.
- J.L. Barrita, M.D. Sánchez, Antioxidant role of ascorbic acid and his protective effects on chronic diseases. Oxidative Stress and Chronic Degenerative Diseases - A Role for Antioxidants, 449 (2013) 450-484.
- F.E. Pehlivan. Vitamin C: An antioxidant agent. Vitamin C, 2 (2017) 23-35.
- A. Yadav, R. Kumari, A. Yadav, J.P. Mishra, S. Srivatva, S. Prabha, Antioxidants and its functions in human body-A Review. Research in Environment and Life Sciences, 9(11) (2016) 1328-1331.
- Sorice, E. Guerriero, F. Capone, G. Colonna, G. Castello, S. Costantini, Ascorbic acid: its role in immune system and chronic inflammation diseases. Mini reviews in medicinal chemistry, 14(5) (2014) 444-452.
- M. G. Kashiouris, M. L’Heureux, C.A. Cable, B.J. Fisher, S.W. Leichtle, A.A. Fowler, The emerging role of vitamin C as a treatment for sepsis. Nutrients, 12(2) (2020) 292.
- E. Gianazza, M. Brioschi, A. Martinez Fernandez, F. Casalnuovo, A. Altomare, G. Aldini, C. Banfi, Lipid peroxidation in atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases. Antioxidants & redox signaling, 34(1) (2021) 49-98.
- S.A. Vieira, G. Zhang, E.A. Decker, Biological implications of lipid oxidation products. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, 94 (2017) 339-351.
- National Research Council, (2011). InGuide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. 8th edition. National Academies Press, United States.
- J.A. Buege, S.D. Aust. (1978). Methods in Enzymology Vol. LII Biomembranes.
- A. Ayala, M.F. Muñoz, S. Argüelles, Lipid peroxidation: production, metabolism, and signaling mechanisms of malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, (2014).
- T. Vanessa Fiorentino, A. Prioletta, P. Zuo, F. Folli, Hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress and its role in diabetes mellitus related cardiovascular diseases. Current pharmaceutical design, 19(32) (2013) 5695-5703.
- F. Ito, Y. Sono, T. Ito, Measurement and clinical significance of lipid peroxidation as a biomarker of oxidative stress: oxidative stress in diabetes, atherosclerosis, and chronic inflammation. Antioxidants, 8(3) (2019) 72.
- C.S. Lieber, Alcohol-induced hepatotoxicity. InHepatotoxicology CRC Press, (2020). 481-523.
- A. Engin, Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Obesity and Lipotoxicity, (2017) 443-467.
- U. Wali, A.A. Binji, K. Ahmad, A. Usman. Lipid peroxidation and lipid profile in hypertensive patients in Sokoto, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 20(3) (2012)199-204.
- M.M. Kanter, P.M. Kris-Etherton, M.L. Fernandez, K.C. Vickers, D.L. Katz, Exploring the factors that affect blood cholesterol and heart disease risk: is dietary cholesterol as bad for you as history leads us to believe?. Advances in Nutrition, 3(5) (2012) 711-717.
- B.G. Nordestgaard, A. Varbo, Triglycerides and cardiovascular disease. The Lancet, 384 (9943) (2014) 626-635.
- J. Poss, F. Custodis, C. Werner, O. Weingartner, M. Bohm, U. Laufs, Cardiovascular disease and dyslipidemia: beyond LDL. Current pharmaceutical design, 17(9) (2011) 861-870.
- Y. Jiang, T. Zhang, P. Kusumanchi, S. Han, Z. Yang, S. Liangpunsakul, Alcohol metabolizing enzymes, microsomal ethanol oxidizing system, cytochrome P450 2E1, catalase, and aldehyde dehydrogenase in alcohol-associated liver disease. Biomedicines, 8(3) (2020) 50.
- M. Singh, A. Kapoor, A. Bhatnagar, Oxidative and reductive metabolism of lipid-peroxidation derived carbonyls. Chemico-Biological Interactions, 234 (2015) 261-73.
- W.J. Lee, H.C. Ou, W.C. Hsu, M.M. Chou, J.J. Tseng, S.L. Hsu, K.L. Tsai, W.H. Sheu, Ellagic acid inhibits oxidized LDL-mediated LOX-1 expression, ROS generation, and inflammation in human endothelial cells. Journal of vascular surgery, 52(5) (2010) 1290-1300.
- B. Pamukcu, G.Y. Lip, A. Devitt, H. Griffiths, E. Shantsila, The role of monocytes in atherosclerotic coronary artery disease. Annals of medicine, 42(6) (2010) 394-403.
- A.T Klop, M.C. do Rego, Cabezas, Alcohol and plasma triglycerides. Current opinion in lipidology, 24(4) (2013) 321-326.
- E.A. Brinton, Effects of ethanol intake on lipoproteins. Current atherosclerosis reports, 14(2) (2012) 108-114.
- M. Berretta, V. Quagliariello, N. Maurea, R. Di Francia, S. Sharifi, G. Facchini, L. Rinaldi, M. Piezzo, C. Manuela, G. Nunnari, M. Montopoli. Multiple effects of ascorbic acid against chronic diseases: Updated evidence from preclinical and clinical studies. Antioxidants, 9(12) (2020) 1182.
- S.M. El-Bahr, Biochemistry of free radicals and oxidative stress. Biochemistry, 1 (5567/5cjiŋt) (2013) 11.
- V Amalan, N Vijayakumar, D Indumathi, A Ramakrishnan, Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic activity of p-coumaric acid in diabetic rats, role of pancreatic GLUT 2: In vivo approach. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 84 (2016) 230-236.
Volume 5, Issue 1, Year 2023
How to Cite
Copyrights & License
Copyright (c) 2023 Oyesola O.A, Owoeye I.I, Ehiremen S.E, Adenekan S.O, George E.T
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.