Project Management Skills in Malaysian Economic Sectors
Objective of this conceptual study is to investigate the demand for project management skills in Malaysian economic sectors and to develop strategies on narrowing down the project management talent gap to enable the nation in leveraging on project management talents to implement strategic initiatives, driving change, and delivering innovation to Malaysia whilst contributing to nation’s productivity and standard of living. Previous studies on project management skills demand in Malaysian economic sector is limited, mostly related to non-Malaysian economies and other areas of skills. Demand and supply theory based on Graduate Tracer Study is used as basis to understand and close the gap in project management skills demand and project management talent shortages and, in consideration of potential job mismatch due to traits of workers and the impact of curriculum design on employability competence. This study on project management skills in Malaysia will serve as basis to identify the project management skills gap in Malaysian economic sectors. Proposed model of strategies expected to be developed in this study is aimed to provide granular level insights for government in adopting more targeted approach in meeting the demand for project management skills and narrowing down project management talent shortages.
- Adler, J.P., (2016), Skills that improve profitability: The relationship between project management, IT skills, and small to medium enterprise profitability, International Journal of Project Management, 34 (5), 831-838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2016.03.004
- Ali, M., Li Z., Khan S., Shah S.J., Ullah R., (2020), Linking humble leadership and project success: the moderating role of top management support with mediation of team-building, International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 14 (3), 545-562. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJMPB-01-2020-0032
- Bank, W., (2019), Monitoring Cccupational Shortages. Lressons from malaysia's Critical Occupation List, Retrieved from http://documents1.worldbank.org/curated/en/877271568138256963/pdf/Monitoring-Occupational-Shortages-Lessons-from-Malaysias-Critical-Occupations-List.pdf
- Cho, J.N., (2017), Contribution of talent analytics in change management within project management organizations the case of the French aerospace sector, Procedia Computer Science, 121,625-629. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2017.11.082
- COL, T., (2020), Critical Occupation List 2019/2020. Critical Skills Monitoring Committee.
- Farashah, A. D., Thomas J., Blomquist T., (2019), Exploring the value of project management certification in selection and recruiting, International Journal of Project Management, 37(1), 14-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2018.09.005
- Haron, N. A., Devi P., Hassim S., Alias A.H., Tahir M.M., Harun A.N., (2017), Project management practice and its effects on project success in Malaysian construction industry, IOP Conference Series Materials Science & Engineering, 291 6. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/291/1/012008
- Hashim, E. M., (2016), Project managers’ knowledge management and competency model for construction in Malaysia. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Retrieved from http://aunilo.uum.edu.my/Find/Record/my.utm.79282
- Hefley, W. E., Bottion M., (2021), Skills of junior project management professionals and project success achieved by them. International Journal of Information Systems and Project Management, 9 (1), 56-75. https://doi.org/10.12821/ijispm090103
- ILMIA., (2018), Labour Force Participation Rate (LFPR). Department of Statistics Malaysia. Retrieved Apr, 2021, from Labour Force Participation Rate (LFPR)
- Jara, E. V., Babb J.W., Flohr T.M., (2019), Status and scope of project management in the hospitality industry, International Hospitality Review, 33 (2), 142-149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IHR-09-2019-0016
- K K Sharma, D. I., Israel D., Bhalla B., (2021), Does previous work experience matter in students’ learning in higher project management education?, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 28(1), 424-450. https://doi.org/10.1108/ECAM-01-2019-0015
- Mahjoub, M., (2018), national Conference on Project MANagement / HCist - International. Tehran: ScienceDirect. Retrieved from https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com/280203/1-s2.0-S1877050918X00155/1-s2.0-S1877050918317472/main.pdf?X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEIL%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FwEaCXVzLWVhc3QtMSJHMEUCIQD59caebT0P6V9x%2FSYSh59RdHXD9E%2Bw7ko5k%2FKeMj%2FyrQIgYpqk
- Marnewick, C., Marnewick A.L., (2020), The Demands of Industry 4.0 on Project Teams, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 67 (3), 941-949. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2019.2899350
- Masi, D., Godsell J., Karatzas A., Brady T., (2018), Using project demand profiling to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of infrastructure projects, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 38(6), 1422-1442. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-02-2017-0095
- Misni, F., Nik Mahmood N.H., Jamil R., (2020), The effect of curriculum design on the employability competency of Malaysian graduates, Management Science Letters, 10(4) 909-914. http://dx.doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2019.10.005
- MOHR. (2019). Labour Market Dynamics and Future of Work, Cyberjaya: Mid term review, 11MP (MEA). Retrieved from https://www.ilmia.gov.my/images/newsandevents/PersidanganSumberManusia2019/PEMBENTANG_1.pdf
- PMI., (2017), Project Management Job Growth and Talent Gap 2017–2027. Project Management Institute, Retrieved from https://www.pmi.org/learning/careers/job-growth
- Seng, L. C., (2018), Malaysian Public University Graduate Employability Policies: An analysis of first degree graduates unemployement and underemployment issues, International Journal of Social Science and Humanities Research, 6(4), 480-489. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.2589702
- Sirec, K., Vrečko I., (2020), Synthesis of Youth Entrepreneurship and Project Management Competencies for Post Covid-19 Challenges, 2(1), 684.
- Steed E, S. R., (2013), Executive Committee Skills and Completing the Learning Cycle in Hospitality Education, Journal Of Hospitality and Tourism Education, 15(1), 43-51. https://doi.org/10.1080/10963758.2003.10696759
- TalentCorp., (2020), Key Figures 'A QUICK GLANCE AT MALAYSIA'. TalentCorp, Retrieved from https://www.talentcorp.com.my/key-figures
- Cruz A., Carvalho Alves A., Tereso A., (2020), Traditional, Agile and Lean Project Management: A Systematic Literature Review, Journal of Modern Project Managemnet, 8(2), 86-95.
- Zakariya, Z., (2017), Job Mismatch and On-the-job Search Behavior, Asian Economics Journal, 31(4), 355-379. http://doi.org/10.1111/asej.12135