Sports competition related anxiety: Is it modifiable among athletes in urban schools in Sri Lanka?
Competition related anxiety is a major psychological issue among athletes and this study estimates the prevalence of competition related anxiety, its associated factors and coping strategies used, among school athletes in Sri Lanka. A cross-sectional study was conducted among 330 athletes. Two-stage simple random sampling was used. Competition related anxiety level was determined by Sport Competition Anxiety Test for adults (SCAT-A). Prevalence of ‘high’ level of sport competition related anxiety was 19.4% and it was significantly associated with individual sports, fear of failure, experience of past defeat, and poor support received from parents/friends. Listening to music, goal setting, positive self-talk and meditation were positive coping strategies used by athletes. The main negative coping strategy was being angry. High competition related anxiety prevalent in about 1/5th of school athletes was influenced by several factors related to the sport event. Psychological support incorporated into routine physical training sessions is recommended.
- Urban school athletes,
- Competition related anxiety,
- Coping strategies
- Chatzisarantis, N. L., Hagger, M. S., Biddle, S. J., Smith, B., & Wang, J. C., (2003), A meta-analysis of perceived locus of causality in exercise, sport, and physical education contexts, Journal of sport and exercise psychology, 25(3), 284-306. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.25.3.284
- Chen, I., Chang, C., Hung, C. L., Chen, L. C., & Hung, T. M., (2010), Investigation of underlying psychological factors in elite table tennis players, International Journal of Table Tennis Sciences, 6, 48-50.
- Cox, R. H., & Cox, R. H., (2002), Sport psychology: Concepts and applications, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Daryna, I., Olha, B., Svitlana, F., Sergii, T., Iryna, K., Victoriia, M., & Ion, M., (2019), Gender differences in competitive anxiety and coping strategies within junior handball national team, Electronic National University of Ukraine on Phisical Education and Sports Institutional Repository. http://reposit.uni-sport.edu.ua/handle/787878787/1826
- DeFreese, J. D., & Smith, A. L., (2013), Teammate social support, burnout, and self-determined motivation in collegiate athletes, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 14(2), 258-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2012.10.009
- Dharmadasa, H. R., & Perera, H. P. N., (2021), Facility Gaps for Players at International Cricket Stadiums in Sri Lanka vs. Australia, International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences, 9(3), 590 – 594. https://doi.org/10.13189/saj.2021.090327
- Elliott, D., Polman, R., & Taylor, J., (2014), The effects of relaxing music for anxiety control on competitive sport anxiety, European journal of sport science, 14(sup1), S296-S301. https://doi.org/10.1080/17461391.2012.693952
- Federici, R. A., & Skaalvik, E. M., (2014), Students' Perceptions of Emotional and Instrumental Teacher Support: Relations with Motivational and Emotional Responses, International Education Studies, 7(1), 21-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ies.v7n1p21
- Fernandes M.G., Nunes, S. A. N., Vasconcelos-Raposo, J., & Fernandes, H. M., (2013), Factors influencing competitive anxiety in Brazilian athletes, Revista Brasileira de Cineantropometria & Desempenho Humano, 15(6), 705-714. http://dx.doi.org/10.5007/1980-0037.2013v15n6p705
- Hansen, B. H., Dalene, K. E., Ekelund, U., Wang Fagerland, M., Kolle, E., Steene‐Johannessen, J., ... & Alfred Anderssen, S., (2020), Step by step: Association of device‐measured daily steps with all‐cause mortality—A prospective cohort Study, Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 30(9), 1705-1711. https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.13726
- Hassan, A. R., Lam, M. H. S., Ku, S., Li, W. H. C., Lee, K. Y., Ho, E., ... & Wong, A. S. W., (2017), The reasons of dropout of sport in Hong Kong school athletes, Health psychology research, 5(1). https://doi.org/10.4081/hpr.2017.6766
- Heiervang, E. R., Villabø, M. A., & Wergeland, G. J., (2018), Cognitive behavior therapy for child and adolescent anxiety disorders: an update on recent evidence, Current opinion in psychiatry, 31(6), 484-489. https://doi.org/10.1097/YCO.0000000000000457
- Huang, G. H., & Gove, M., (2015), Asian parenting styles and academic achievement: Views from eastern and western perspectives, Education, 135(3), 389-397.
- James, M., Christian, D., Scott, S., Todd, C., Stratton, G., Demmler, J., & Brophy, S., (2019), What works best when implementing a physical activity intervention for teenagers? Reflections from the ACTIVE Project: a qualitative study, BMJ open, 9(5), e025618. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-025618
- Jones MV, & Sheffield, D., (2007), The impact of game outcome on the well‐being of athletes. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 5(1), 54-65. https://doi.org/10.1080/1612197X.2008.9671812
- Kar, S., (2013), Measurement of competition level anxiety of college level athletes by using SCAT, International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology, 2(3), 367-375.
- Karageorghis, C. I., Priest, D. L., Terry, P. C., Chatzisarantis, N. L., & Lane, A. M., (2006), Redesign and initial validation of an instrument to assess the motivational qualities of music in exercise: The Brunel Music Rating Inventory-2, Journal of sports sciences, 24(8), 899-909. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410500298107
- Kross, E., Bruehlman-Senecal, E., Park, J., Burson, A., Dougherty, A., Shablack, H.,& Ayduk, O., (2014), Self-talk as a regulatory mechanism: how you do it matters, Journal of personality and social psychology, 106(2), 304. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0035173
- Küttel, A., Pedersen, A. K., & Larsen, C. H., (2021), To Flourish or Languish, that is the question: exploring the mental health profiles of Danish elite athletes, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 52, 101837. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2020.101837
- Malm, C., Jakobsson, J., & Isaksson, A., (2019), Physical activity and sports—real health benefits: a review with insight into the public health of Sweden, Sports, 7(5), 127. https://doi.org/10.3390/sports7050127
- Mann, B. J., Grana, W. A., Indelicato, P. A., O'Neill, D. F., & George, S. Z., (2007), A survey of sports medicine physicians regarding psychological issues in patient-athletes, The American journal of sports medicine, 35(12), 2140-2147. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546507304140
- Martens, R., Vealey, R. S., & Burton, D., (1990), Competitive anxiety in sport, Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL.
- Maxwell, J. P., Moores, E., & Chow, C. C. F., (2007), Anger rumination and self‐reported aggression amongst British and Hong Kong Chinese athletes: A cross cultural comparison, International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 5(1), 9-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/1612197X.2008.9671810
- Mottaghi, M., Atarodi, A., & Rohani, Z., (2013), The relationship between coaches’ and athletes’ competitive anxiety, and their performance, Iranian journal of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, 7(2), 68-76.
- Pluhar, E., McCracken, C., Griffith, K. L., Christino, M. A., Sugimoto, D., & Meehan III, W. P., (2019), Team sport athletes may be less likely to suffer anxiety or depression than individual sport athletes, Journal of sports science and medicine, 18(3), 490-496.
- Potgieter, J. R., (2009), Norms for the Sport Competition Anxiety Test (SCAT), South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education and Recreation, 31(1), 69-79. https://doi.org/10.4314/sajrs.v31i1.43793
- Proctor, S. L., & Boan-Lenzo, C., (2010), Prevalence of depressive symptoms in male intercollegiate student-athletes and nonathletes, Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology, 4(3), 204-220. https://doi.org/10.1123/jcsp.4.3.204
- Ridgers, N. D., Fazey, D. M., & Fairclough, S. J., (2007), Perceptions of athletic competence and fear of negative evaluation during physical education, British Journal of Educational Psychology, 77(2), 339-349. https://doi.org/10.1348/026151006X128909
- Rocha, V. V. S., & Osório, F. D. L., (2018), Associations between competitive anxiety, athlete characteristics and sport context: evidence from a systematic review and meta-analysis, Archives of Clinical Psychiatry (São Paulo), 45, 67-74. https://doi.org/10.1590/0101-60830000000160
- Rowland, D. L., & Van Lankveld, J. J., (2019), Anxiety and performance in sex, sport, and stage: identifying common ground, Frontiers in psychology, 10, 1615. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01615
- Sagar, S. S., Busch, B. K., & Jowett, S., (2010), Success and failure, fear of failure, and coping responses of adolescent academy football players, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 22(2), 213-230. https://doi.org/10.1080/10413201003664962
- Schaal, K., Tafflet, M., Nassif, H., Thibault, V., Pichard, C., Alcotte, M., & Toussaint, J. F., (2011), Psychological balance in high level athletes: gender-based differences and sport-specific patterns, PloS one, 6(5), e19007. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0019007
- Seifert, S. M., Schaechter, J. L., Hershorin, E. R., & Lipshultz, S. E., (2011), Health effects of energy drinks on children, adolescents, and young adults. Pediatrics, 127(3), 511-528. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-3592
- Shephard, R. J., (2017), Peptic ulcer and exercise, Sports Medicine, 47(1), 33-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-016-0563-4
- Somaratne GTUV, Nugaliyadda, N. T., Sarangika, N. G., Amarasinghe, M. C., Kahandawarachchi, C., & Thelijjagoda, S., (2014), Enhancing the Selection Criteria and Achievement Level in Sri Lankan Sports.
- White, S. A., & Zellner, S. R., (1996), The relationship between goal orientation, beliefs about the causes of sport success, and trait anxiety among high school, intercollegiate, and recreational sport participants, The Sport Psychologist, 10(1), 58-72. https://doi.org/10.1123/tsp.10.1.58
- Wilson, G. S., Raglin, J. S., & Pritchard, M. E., (2002), Optimism, pessimism, and precompetition anxiety in college athletes, Personality and individual differences, 32(5), 893-902. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(01)00094-0