ESG and Value Creation in Private Equity Investments: Analysing the Effects
The present research evaluates the influence of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) standards on the returns of private equity and explores the methods employed by private equity enterprises to incorporate ESG criteria into their investment choices. The research additionally identifies the ESG factors that are deemed most significant by private equity enterprises and scrutinises the possible advantages and disadvantages of ESG investment in the private equity sector. The present study employed a mixed-methods design, comprising a quantitative investigation of private equity returns and a qualitative exploration conducted with private equity firms. The research proposes that private equity enterprises ought to contemplate the incorporation of ESG standards into their investment assessments as a means of attaining superior returns and more effectively mitigating risk. Additional investigation is required to examine the influence of distinct ESG factors on private equity gains and to establish uniform gauges for assessing ESG accomplishments within the private equity sector.
- Abraham, J.K., Olbert, M., & Vasvari, F.P. (2022). ESG Disclosures in the Private Equity Industry. SSRN, 86. https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4265171
- Alfonso-Ercan, C. (2020). Private Equity and ESG investing. Values at Work. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, 127-141. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-55613-6_9
- Anand, G. (2022). Technology usage in the Private Equity M&A Deals for Ethical Investing satisfying the Environmental Social Governance (ESG), Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) criteria.
- Bian, Y., Gao, H., Wang, R., & Xiong, X. (2022). Sustainable development for private equity: Integrating environment, social, and governance factors into partnership valuation. Business Strategy and the Environment. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.3304
- Crifo, P., Forget, V.D., & Teyssier, S. (2015). The price of environmental, social and governance practice disclosure: An experiment with professional private equity investors. Journal of Corporate Finance, 30, 168-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2014.12.006
- Dai, N. (2022). Empirical research on private equity funds: A review of the past decade and future research opportunities. Review of Corporate Finance, 2, 427-450. https://doi.org/10.1561/114.00000020
- Grim, D.M., & Berkowitz, D.B. (2020). ESG, SRI, and impact investing: A primer for decision-making. The Journal of Impact and ESG Investing, 1(1), 47-65. https://doi.org/10.3905/jesg.2020.1.1.047
- Long, F.J., & Johnstone, S. (2021). Applying ‘Deep ESGoto Asian private equity. Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment, 13, 943-961. https://doi.org/10.1080/20430795.2021.1879562
- Matos, P. (2020). ESG and responsible institutional investing around the world: A critical review. CFA Institute Research Foundation.
- Motilal Oswal Securities. (2021). Environment, Social, and Governance:The Megatrend in Investing. Motilal Oswal Securities. http://ftp.motilaloswal.com/emailer/Research/Sustainability-20211214-MOSL-IC-PG030.pdf
- Nnam, S.U. (2022). ESG for Venture Capital, Private Equity and Responsible Investing. SSRN. https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4135535
- Pitkänen, J. (2022). Incorporation of ESG Criteria in Private Equity Investments. OSUVA Open Science.
- Yang, K., Akhtar, U., Dessard, J., & Seemann, A. (2019). Private Equity Investors Embrace Impact Investing. Bain & Company.
- Zaccone, M.C., & Pedrini, M. (2020). ESG factor integration into private equity. Sustainability, 12(14), 5725. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12145725
- Zeisberger, C. (2014). ESG in Private Equity: A Fast-Evolving Standard. Global Private Equity Initiative.